Skip Navigation LinksPhlebotomist

Laboratory Field Services

Phlebotomy Certificate

Thank you for your interest in the California Phlebotomy certificate. Laboratory Field Services (LFS) requires applicants to submit documentation of academic coursework and clinical training or work experience to qualify for licensure.

»   Work experience in California as an unlicensed laboratory staff person will not be accepted as qualification toward any clinical laboratory license.  Please note that biotech/pharmaceutical, forensic, academic, veterinary, research, and student laboratory experience cannot count as work experience or training for any clinical license.

»   Phlebotomy experience in a blood bank cannot count towards on-the-job phlebotomy experience for certification. On-the-job experience must include blood collection for testing purposes from patients of varying ages, including pediatric and geriatric, and of varying health and obesity status.

Answers to frequently asked questions regarding the phlebotomy certificate and application process can be found on our Phlebotomy Certificate FAQ's page.

Scope of practice

There are three levels of phlebotomy certification, each with a different scope of practice. For information about each level please click on the certificate type in the list below:


Academic requirements

  • You must be a high school graduate

  • OR

  • Pass a general educational development (GED) test

  • OR

  • Provide official transcripts showing credit for general education courses completed at an accredited college or university. 

Non-US transcripts

All non-U.S. transcripts must be evaluated by "Current Members" of the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) or "Endorsed Members" of the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). Official transcript from the university  is required in addition to the evaluation. The evaluation service will send an evaluation of your educational institution and academic courses directly to LFS.

To obtain an application, instructions, and information, visit them on the web:

If you are an applicant whose education and training/experience is from a non-U.S. school, college, university, or clinical laboratory, please make sure that your name is printed in English on all your transcripts and supporting documents and that it matches your name on the application.



Your training must be obtained in a phlebotomy program accredited by the California Department of Public Health.



You must have passed a national certification examination from one of the certifying organizations approved by the California Department of Public Health.



Once you receive your certificate you will need to renew it every two years. To renew, you must pay a fee and submit documentation of continuing education. For information about the renewal process please visit the LFS renewal webpage.



Helpful links

*If you are having difficulty accessing this document please contact LFS at to request this information in an alternate format.

Statutes and regulations


The requirements listed may not be comprehensive.


How to Apply

Visit the LFS online application website to create an account and submit an application.

Apply Online *You will need to pay your application fee online.  
  1. Select the phlebotomy certificate type for which you are applying from the menu on the application website.
  2. A certificate of completion of a phlebotomy training program, the California Statement of Phlebotomy Practical Training, the Letter of Phlebotomy Experience for California Certification, and copy of national certification must be uploaded during the online application process.
  3. Transcripts must be original documents bearing the school, college, or university registrar's seal, sent directly to LFS from the office of the school, college, or university registrar. Request to have your transcripts mailed to:
  4. Laboratory Field Services - Phlebotomy Program
    850 Marina Bay Parkway, Bldg. P 1st Floor
    Richmond, CA 94804

*Incomplete application packages may be abandoned. All applicants whose applications have been abandoned who wish to re-apply must pay a new non-refundable application fee.


Documents you may need for your application

  • Official transcript.

  • NACES or AICE evaluation.

  • Certificate of completion from an approved phlebotomy training program.

  • Verification of practical training experience (California Statement of Phlebotomy Practical Training).

  • Verification of on-the-job experience (Letter of Phlebotomy Experience for California Certification).

  • Verification of national certification examination.


For additional information you may contact

Page Last Updated :