APPLY FOR CERTIFICATION RENEWAL
Types of Lead Certificates Available
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch issues lead certificates to individuals who do lead hazard evaluations and lead-related construction in residential and public buildings. The five types of lead certificates issued are:
- Inspector/Assessor: Someone who assesses the amount of lead paint or lead hazards in buildings before, during, or after lead-related construction work.
- Sampling Technician: Someone who collects samples of paint, dust, or soil under the direction of a certified Inspector/Assessor.
- Project Monitor: Someone who oversees lead-related construction work to make sure that contract plans and specifications are followed, and who does testing after the work is complete to ensure it was done properly.
- Supervisor: Someone who supervises lead workers and implements lead-related construction work and enforces the work practices that ensure worker safety.
- Worker: Someone who performs lead-related construction work under the direction of a Lead Supervisor.
For more information about each specialty, see the Which certification should I get? page.
To become certified, you will need to take an approved lead training course and show that you have the required experience and education.
Important things to know before you apply
Before applying, be sure to read the Certification Process page.
Application forms and instructions
Below are the forms and instructions you will need to apply for a new Lead-Related Construction Certificate or to renew an existing Lead-Related Construction Certificate. The files below are in Portable Data Format (PDF). Follow this link to go to the Adobe Homepage and download the Acrobat Reader you will need to read the files. (It's free!)
- APPLICATION Forms and Instructions (PDF 406K) - Forms and instructions to use when applying for California Lead Inspector/Assessor, Project Monitor and/or Supervisor Certification. (Updated June, 2007 - Includes CDPH forms 8488, 8539 and 8540 plus application instructions.)
- APPLICATION Instructions for Workers (PDF 145K) - Instructions on how to apply for California Lead Worker Certification. (Updated June 2007 - Includes application instructions - no forms required other than proof of training.)
- Formularios y Instrucciones para la SOLICITUD de los Trabajadores (PDF 168K) - Formularios y instrucciones para solicitar la certificatión del trabajador. Actualizado junio 2007 (Spanish forms and instructions to use when applying for California Lead Worker Certification. Updated June 2007)
- RENEWAL Forms and Instructions (PDF 306K) - Forms and instructions to use when renewing your California Lead Certification. (Updated June 2007 - Includes CDPH forms 8553, 8540 and 8544 plus application instructions.)
- Formularios y Instrucciones para RENOVAR certificatión (PDF 335K) - Formularios y instrucciones para renovar la certificatión. Actualizado julio 2005 (Spanish forms and instructions to use when renewing for California Lead Certification. Updated June 2007)