APPLY FOR CERTIFICATION OR RENEWAL
Types of Lead Certificates Available
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH), Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention Branch issues lead certificates to individuals who do lead hazard evaluations and lead-related construction in residential and public buildings. The five types of lead certificates issued are:
- Inspector/Assessor: Someone who assesses the amount of lead paint or lead hazards in buildings before, during, or after lead-related construction work.
- Sampling Technician: Someone who collects samples of paint, dust, or soil under the direction of a certified Inspector/Assessor.
- Project Monitor: Someone who oversees lead-related construction work to make sure that contract plans and specifications are followed, and who does testing after the work is complete to ensure it was done properly.
- Supervisor: Someone who supervises lead workers and implements lead-related construction work and enforces the work practices that ensure worker safety.
- Worker: Someone who performs lead-related construction work under the direction of a Lead Supervisor.
For more information about each specialty, see the Which certification should I get? page.
To become certified, you will need to take an approved lead training course and show that you have the required experience and education.
Important things to know before you apply
Before applying, be sure to read the Certification Process page.
Below are the forms and instructions you will need to apply for a new Lead-Related Construction Certificate or to renew an existing Lead-Related Construction Certificate. The files below are in Portable Data Format (PDF). Follow this link to go to the Adobe Homepage and download the Acrobat Reader you will need to read the files. (It's free!)
Please note that starting January 1, 2022, CDPH will transition fully to an online system for lead certification application processing. Paper applications for new and renewal applications will no longer be accepted and will be returned in the form they were received.