Skip Navigation LinksApplyforalicense



Apply for a License

Annual License Application

Applications for annual licenses will be accepted through an online licensing system - the Manufactured Cannabis Licensing System (MCLS). This application will require information on the business, owners and financial interest holders, and operating premises, as well as descriptions of procedures for waste disposal, inventory and quality control, transportation and security. Businesses in operation under the Compassionate Use Act prior to September 1, 2016, will receive priority application review.

Applicants must be in compliance with city or county ordinances. During the application review process, CDPH will contact the city or county to verify the local authorization. If the applicant does not provide a copy of their local authorization, the local office will have 60 days to respond. If the applicant includes a copy of their local authorization with their application, the local office will have 10 days to respond.

ChecklistNEW USER 

  •  Click "New User" to create an account and begin your annual license application.


  • Click "Returning User" if you already have a username, and you wish to return to your application or edit your license information.


  •  Click "Reset Password" to reset your password.

​Annual License Application Resources:

Annual License Application Checklist (PDF)

Annual License Application: Guide to Required Documents (PDF)

MCLS Helpful Hints



'Request for Live Scan' Form (BCIA 8016) (PDF)

Live Scan Instructions for Out-of-State Owners (PDF)

Sample Property Owner's Consent Form (PDF)

Surety Bond Form (PDF) 


Temporary License Application

The California Department of Public Health's Manufactured Cannabis Safety Branch (MCSB) will issue temporary licenses that allow a business to engage in commercial cannabis activity. Once issued, these licenses will be valid for 120 days and may be extended for additional periods of 90 days, if the business has submitted a complete annual license application.

The application can be submitted by mail or email. City or county authorization to conduct commercial cannabis activity must be submitted with the temporary license application. Once the application is received, CDPH will contact the city or county to verify the local authorization, and the office will have 10 days to respond. There is no fee for the temporary license.

Temporary License Application (PDF)

Temporary License Application Instructions (PDF)

Temporary License Application – Shared-Use Facilities Registration and Type S License

Temporary license applications are now being accepted for shared-use cannabis manufacturing facilities. The facility owner/operator ("Primary Licensee") must first obtain a Type 7, 6, or N cannabis manufacturing license and receive approval for their shared-use facility registration. Once approved, cannabis manufacturers wishing to utilize the shared space can apply for a Type S license. The facility must be cannabis specific and authorized by the local jurisdiction to be a shared-use facility. 

Shared-Use Facility Registration for Temporary Licensees (PDF)

Temporary License Application: Type S (PDF)

Page Last Updated :