Enrolling in the PrEP Assistance Program (PrEP-AP)
To be eligible for the PrEP-AP, an applicant must:
- Be a resident of California;
- Have a negative HIV/AIDS test result (dated within 6 months of the PrEP-AP application);
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have an annual Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) that does not exceed 500% of the Federal Poverty Level (FPL) based on family size and household income;
- Not be fully covered by Medi-Cal or other third party payers; and
- Be enrolled in the manufacturer's assistance program (if eligible)
How to Apply
Applicants must first go to an ADAP Enrollment Site that is authorized to perform PrEP-AP enrollment. Uninsured applicants who do not have a current prescription for PrEP and/or are not in the manufacturer's assistance program for PrEP must be clinically assessed for PrEP eligibility and will be referred to a contracted clinical provider in the PrEP-AP Provider Network by an enrollment worker. Please use the PrEP-AP Enrollment Sites /Clinical Network Provider Locator- to ensure that both a contracted clinical provider in the PrEP-AP Provider Network and an ADAP Enrollment Site that is authorized to perform PrEP-AP enrollment are located near you. Clients with private insurance or Medicare are able to see any provider within their health plan network to receive PrEP medical services.
Please Note: All applicants must see an enrollment worker and enroll in the PrEP-AP before seeing a clinical provider for any PrEP-related medical services.
Currently, Gilead Sciences is the sole manufacturer of the only medication approved by the federal Food and Drug Administration for PrEP. Prior to enrolling in OA's PrEP-AP, eligible applicants are required to enroll in the appropriate Gilead assistance program based on their insurance status. Enrollment workers can assist clients with enrolling in both the PrEP-AP and Gilead's assistance programs.
* CDPH, Office of AIDS is charged with coordinating state programs, services, and activities relating to HIV/AIDS and operates PrEP-AP in accordance with these duties. It is not affiliated with, and does not endorse, nor is it endorsed by Gilead Sciences, Inc., or its products.