Skip Navigation LinksFileAComplaint

Licensing and Certification Program

File a Complaint​​

The Center for Health Care Quality's (CHCQ) Licensing and Certification Program is responsible for regulatory oversight of licensed and certified health care facilities and of certain types of health care professionals. CHCQ also investigates consumer complaints against the facilities and professionals within our purview.

Health Care Facilities

Anyone can file a complaint against a health-care facility -- a patient or facility resident, a relative or friend, even a general member of the public.


Filing a complaint through the California Health Facilities Information Database (Cal Health Find) is the most direct way. You file the complaint and it is routed directly to the district office that has oversight authority for the facility in question.

Phone, Fax, or ​Mail

Draft your own letter and mail or fax it in to the district office. You can also make a complaint via telephone by contacting the district office that has oversight of the facility in question. Consult the District Office directory to find the counties for which each district office has oversight. You may also file your complaint on-line through Cal Health Find by searching for the facility and selecting 'File a Complaint'.

Complaints against skilled nursing facilities and other long-term care (LTC) facilities that involve the threat of imminent danger, death, or serious bodily harm must be completed within 90 days.  For other LTC complaints received between July 1, 2017, and July 1, 2018, CHCQ must complete the investigation within 90 days. Beginning July 1, 2018, the department must complete LTC complaint  investigations within 60 days.

Complaint investigations involving general acute care hospitals and other non-long-term care facilities must be completed within 45 days if the allegation indicates an ongoing threat of imminent danger of death, or serious bodily harm. 

The district office will notify you of the results in writing once the complaint investigation is complete.

Certified Nursing Assistants (CNAs), Hemodialysis Technicians (CHTs), and Home Health Aides (HHAs)

The Investigation Section of CHCQ's Investigation Branch (IB) investigates complaints against the health-care facility professionals that we license or certify. The section's information page, "How to Report Misconduct or Abuse," details IB's complaint processes and other frequently asked questions.

Contact information to submit complaints against certified nursing assistants, hemodialysis technicians, and home health aides is below. Complete our complaint form (PDF) or draft your own complaint and submit via email, fax, or mail. You may also file a complaint over the phone.


Message Center: (916) 492-8232
(calls returned by next business day)
Main Line: (916) 445-4423
Fax: (916) 636-6108


Investigation Branch/
Investigation Section
PO Box 997416, MS 3303
Sacramento, CA  95899-7416

Nursing Home Administrators (NHAs)   

CHCQ's Healthcare Workforce Branch investigates complaints against nursing home administrators


Main: (916) 552-8780

Fax: (916) 636-6108


NHAP Complaints
PO Box 997416, MS 3302
Sacramento, CA  95899-7416



Page Last Updated :