Radiologic Health Branch (RHB) licenses users of radioactive material and registers persons possessing generally licensed devices (GLD) containing radioactive materials. Users of radioactive materials include:
- Universities and laboratories to conduct scientific research.
- Medical and veterinary hospitals and clinics to diagnose and treat human beings and animals.
- Nuclear pharmacies that manufacture and distribute radiopharmaceuticals.
- Blood banks to sterilize blood.
- Companies that provide services, such as sterilization of medical supplies, facility decontamination, and waste processing.
- Gauge operators to determine properties of materials, such as moisture, density, thickness, level, and lead content.
- Well loggers to conduct oil drilling operations and industrial radiographers to determine construction integrity.
For questions regarding GLDs, send your question to RHBGLLicensingInfo@cdph.ca.gov.
INDUSTRIAL RADIOGRAPHERS: Individuals performing industrial radiography must meet the requirements specified in title 17, California Code of Regulations section 30335.3.