COVID-19 Updates for January 19
January 26, 2023
SACRAMENTO – Today, the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) released the most recent statistics on COVID-19 and updates on the state's pandemic response. The most up to date data is available on the state's COVID-19 data dashboard.
Statewide COVID-19 Data
Rates of cases, hospitalizations and deaths are highest among unvaccinated individuals and lowest among boosted individuals. This is true for all age groups.
- 87,692,717 total vaccines administered.
- 72.6% of the population has been vaccinated with a primary series.
- 17,524 people a day are receiving COVID-19 vaccination (average daily dose count over 7 days).
- California has 11,016,379 confirmed cases to date.
- Today's average case count is 2,715 (average daily case count over 7 days).
- During November 2022, unvaccinated people were 2.3 times more likely to get COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated with at least a primary series.
- The testing positivity rate is 4.9% (average rate over 7 days).
- There are 2,695 hospitalizations statewide.
- There are 370 ICU patients statewide.
- During November 2022, unvaccinated people were 2.5 times more likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated with at least a primary series.
- There have been 99,130 COVID-19 deaths since the start of the pandemic.
- COVID-19 claims the lives of 36 Californians each day (average daily death count over 7 days).
- During November 2022, unvaccinated people were 2.9 times more likely to die from COVID-19 than people who were vaccinated with at least a primary series.
Your Actions Save Lives - How You Can Help Slow the Spread
Protect yourself, family, friends and community with prevention measures and information:
- Get Vaccinated and Boosted for COVID-19: Real-world evidence continues to show that the vaccine prevents severe illness, hospitalization, and death. Public health officials urge Californians to get vaccinated and boosted as soon as they are eligible. It is recommended that every individual six months of age and older receive their primary COVID-19 vaccine series and booster dose, if eligible. Find a vaccine near you by visiting myturn.ca.gov or calling 1-833-422-4255. Visit Vaccinate All 58 to learn more about the safe and effective vaccines available for all Californians six months of age and older.
- Wear A Mask: California's COVID-19 mask guidance aligns with CDC COVID-19 Community Levels. Know your community level to evaluate risk and inform your decision on when to mask. Local policies may go beyond state requirements based on local conditions.
- Travel Tips: Do not travel if you are sick or have tested positive for COVID-19. Make sure you are up to date on your COVID-19 and other vaccines before travel (both domestic and international). See the CDC's full travel guidance.
Add Your Phone to the Fight: Sign up for COVID-19 exposure notifications from CA Notify. Also, individuals who test positive for COVID-19 – including those who test at home – can alert others of a potential exposure more
quickly and conveniently. . For more information, please visit the "Notify Others" page on CA Notify.
- Sign-Up for COVID-19 Policy Alerts and Notifications: COVID-19 Policy Alerts provide up-to-date information regarding CDPH COVID-19 guidance and policy, including changes to orders, mandatory guidance and more. Sign-up for the COVID-19 Policy Alerts emails today.
- Check with your Local Health Department: Local health deartments may have policies in place that are stricter than state guidance.
Tracking COVID-19 in California
Health Care Workers
- As of January 26, local health departments have reported 189,805 confirmed positive cases in health care workers and 603 deaths statewide.