Skip Navigation LinksDelayed-or-Court-Order-Delayed-Vital-Events

vital records

Delayed or Court Order Delayed Vital Events

Note: If the child is under one year old and the birth has not been registered, please contact the local register in the county of birth.

Delayed Registration of Birth 

A Delayed Registration of Birth is utilized to register a California Birth when:

  • The birth was not registered within the first year
  • A certified copy of the original birth certificate is not obtainable
  • Proper evidence and affidavits supporting the California birth are available

Court Order Delayed Certificate of Birth, Marriage, Death, Fetal Death

A Court Order Delayed Registration is utilized to register a California vital record when:

  • The vital record was never registered or is not on file with the State Registrar.




Please view our current Fees. Requests received without the appropriate fee will be returned to the sender. Make your check or money order payable to CDPH Vital Records. Checks must be drawn on a United States bank. Money orders must be drawn on a United States bank or issued by the United States Postal Service.

Please do not send cash by mail. CDPH cannot be held responsible for fees paid that are lost, misdirected, or undelivered.

Processing Times

Please view our current Processing Times. The processing time begins when CDPH-VR receives your request. 

Page Last Updated :