Skip Navigation LinksOPT-SP-Extension-Site


 Contact Us

Phone: (916) 552-8632

For application status requests, please include the following in your email:

  • Application ID (if applicable)
  • Name of Facility or Agency
  • License or Facility/Agency # (if applicable)
  • Address
  • Facility or Provider Type
  • Date Documentation Sent
  • Contact Number​

Outpatient Physical Therapy/Speech-Language Pathology Provider
Extension Site Application Packet

A rehabilitation clinic may be certified as an Outpatient Physical Therapy and Speech-Language Pathology (OPT/SP) provider in California. An OPT/SP is a rehabilitation agency that provides an integrated interdisciplinary rehabilitation program designed to upgrade the physical functioning of handicapped disabled individuals by bringing specialized rehabilitation staff together to perform as a team and provides at least physical therapy or speech-language pathology services, pursuant to Title 42 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) section 485.703. 

General Medicare Process Reminder

Providers seeking Medicare certification must first complete and submit an enrollment application through the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), prior to submitting an OPT/SP application packet to the Centralized Applications Branch (CAB). Information on Medicare enrollment, applicable forms, and instructions can be found on the CMS website ( If you receive a recommendation of approval letter from the Medicare Administrative Contractor (MAC) for California, Noridian Healthcare Solutions, please include a copy of this letter along with your OPT/SP application packet to CAB.

To apply for an extension site certification, you must complete the required application packet. Refer to 42 CFR Part 485, Subpart H for the Conditions Of Participation for Outpatient Physical Therapy and Speech-Language Pathology Services.

How to Apply

An applicant must submit a completed application packet to the Centralized Applications Branch (CAB). The provider instructions are a resource to guide you through the process. The provider checklist identifies the required forms and supporting documents needed to apply for certification. 

Please refer to the following links to get started:

Application Packet Forms

Where to Submit Applications

Submit completed application packets to the CAB at the address listed below. Do not send any completed application packets, forms, or supporting documents to the local CDPH, District Office.

          California Department of Public Health
          Licensing and Certification Program
          Centralized Applications Branch
          P.O. Box 997377, MS 3207
          Sacramento, CA 95899-7377

Page Last Updated :