The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) strongly recommends SNFs prepare for COVID-19. Elderly persons and those with chronic medical conditions may be at higher risk for severe illness and death from COVID-19. All California SNFs should take steps to:
- Prevent introduction of COVID-19 into their facility;
- Detect COVID-19 in their facility;
- Prepare to receive residents with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection;
- Prepare to care for residents with suspected or confirmed COVID-19 infection;
- Prevent spread of COVID-19 within their facility; and
- Notify residents' family members or the resident's representative, if there is a COVID-19 positive health care worker or resident in their facility.
In collaboration with the California Department of Social Services (CDSS), CDPH has developed a toolkit for management of exposures and recognized cases in SNFs and congregate living settings. Please refer to the following guidance for prevention, containment, and mitigation measures for COVID-19:
*CDPH and CDSS are jointly conducting onsite visits to Adult and Senior Care licensees; these documents are intended for these licensees.
If you have any questions about infection prevention and control of COVID-19, please contact the CDPH Healthcare-Associated Infections Program via email at HAIProgram@cdph.ca.gov or email@example.com.
Please remember to immediately report confirmed cases of COVID-19 to your local public health department and your district office. If there are any urgent PPE or staffing needs, please report them immediately to your district office.
Original signed by Heidi W. Steinecker
Heidi W. Steinecker