The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) publishes the Long-Term Care Facility RAI User's Manual version 3.0 as a public document that providers can copy. CMS's goal is to disseminate information broadly to facilitate accurate and effective resident assessment practices in long-term care facilities.
Starting October 1, 2017, all certified Medicare and/or Medicaid facilities must use the latest RAI 3.0 Manual v1.15 as a reference in completing the Minimum Data Set (MDS) 3.0.
This version incorporates new guidance, coding instruction, steps for assessments, and clarification in the following chapters:
- Chapter 1- Overview, content, and components of the RAI;
- Chapter 2- RAI assessment process, requirements, state designation, and nursing home responsibilities in completing the RAI;
- Chapter 3- Overview of the item-by-item guide to the MDS. Items in sections N and P are added with new guidance and coding instructions;
- Chapter 4- Care area assessments (CAA) and care planning guidance and instructions;
- Chapter 6- Medicare Skilled Nursing Facilities Prospective Payment System (SNF PPS) eligibility criteria.
Providers may find and print the new version of the RAI 3.0 at the CMS website:
CMS - 3.0 RAI Manual
If you have additional questions, please contact the MDS/OASIS Help Desk by email at MDSOasis@cdph.ca.gov or by phone at (916) 324-2362.
Please distribute copies of this AFL to MDS Coordinators, Directors of Nursing, and Facility Administrators in our facility.
Original signed by Jean Iacino