This All Facility Letter serves to remind facilities that compliance with regulatory requirements specific to employees of skilled nursing facilities is important to the goal of ensuring the provision of quality care to residents. The following regulation references are listed for your attention:
- the retention of employee records; Title 22 California Code of Regulations (CCR) Section 72523;
- ensuring employee health exams are performed and documented as required (22 CCR Section 72535);
- ensuring licensed and certified staff have current licenses/certificates (22 CCR Section 72038);
- ensuring background checks have been performed (Health and Safety Code Section 1337 - Certified Nurse Assistant and Section 1736.1 - Home Health Aide);
- ensuring all facilities are in compliance with regulations and statutes pertaining to vaccinations for staff, including those enforced by other state departments (Title 8 CCR Section 5199); and
- ensuring facilities have complied with local and state reporting requirements for communicable diseases and outbreaks (22 CCR Sections 72537 and 72539).
Please verify compliance with these requirements in order to ensure the safety of your residents and staff.
Facilities are responsible for following all applicable laws. The California Department of Public Health's failure to expressly notify facilities of statutory or regulatory requirements does not relieve facilities of their responsibility for following all California laws and regulations.
If you have any questions, please contact your local District Office.
Original Signed by Debby Rogers
Debby Rogers, RN, MS, FAEN
Center for Health Care Quality