Genetic Counselor Renewal Application
Genetic Counselor Licenses issued to ABGC Board certified Genetic Counselors (not Temporary Genetic Counselor Licenses) are valid for a three year period from the date of issue by the California Department of Public Health’s Genetic Disease Screening Program (GDSP). All licensees must renew in advance of their license expiration date. Unless an earlier renewal date is requested, your new three year license period will be effective from the day following the expiration of your current license and will expire three years from your current expiration date. If you have accumulated the required number of contact hours of continuing education prior to your license renewal date, you may choose to apply for license renewal and request an earlier renewal date in writing (which can be any time between the date the completed renewal application is submitted to GDSP and the license expiration date). The GDSP will adjust your three year license time period to reflect a new license expiration date. You may not carry over CEU’s to the next license time period.
Continuing Education Units (CEU’s):
During the three year period of licensure, a Genetic Counselor must complete 45 contact hours of continuing education, with at least 30 contact hours of continuing education being from National Society of Genetic Counselors (NSGC) approved Category 1 Continuing Education Unit (CEU) programs. The remaining contact hours of continuing education may be from either NSGC approved Category 1 or Category 2 CEU programs.
1. Submit a completed Genetic Counselor License renewal application form CDPH 4486, please remember to include your current Genetic Counselor license number on the renewal application form.
2. Complete the Genetic Counselor Licensure Continuing Education Declaration form CDPH 4488.
3. Complete the Genetic Counselor License Payment form CDPH 4487, with money order, cashier’s check or credit card information for payment of $100.00.
4. Include a copy of your most recent ABGC certification or recertification.
5. Submit a 2’’ X 2’’ Passport size photo (head and shoulders only) taken within the last 60 days of filing the application.
A background check is NOT required for license renewal.