Statewide Overdose Safety (SOS) Workgroup
Driven by equity, justice, and collective action, the SOS Workgroup advances and amplifies California’s unified response to end the evolving drug overdose crisis in California. Composed of subject matter experts from a variety of state-level agencies, the Workgroup works to better understand the contemporary issues around the opioid crisis and reduce potential harm from substance use and overdose through collaboration, information sharing, policy development, and implementation.
- To improve coordination and information sharing between state partners.
- To implement cross-cutting strategies to address overdose in California.
- To reduce the number of fatal overdoses in California.
Sub-groupsTo manage the workload and delineate by area of expertise, the Workgroup maintains three subgroups, each with identified opportunities of focus.
- Reduce overdose death through harm reduction
- Reduce barriers to treatment, including medications for opioid use disorder (MOUD), and increase retention
- Develop communication plan to bridge gaps between agencies and to effectively communicate with the public
- Work to address stigma toward people who use drugs and participation in harm reduction strategies and treatment
- Develop process for addressing emerging contaminants, such as Xylazine
For more information, please contact OPI@cdph.ca.gov