Attention certificate holders! If you are an eligible CNA seeking employment, we encourage you to register with CalJOBS which will provide you with the latest job openings, allow you to post a résumé online, find career guidance, search for training and education programs, find information on local employers, etc.
The California Department of Public Health is aware of the concerns of the State's Certified Nurse Assistants due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) and we are working diligently to address these concerns. We thank you for your patience during this time.
For information about temporary waivers and suspensions, during the COVID-19 state of emergency, please visit our COVID-19 page.
Certified Nurse Assistant
How to Verify the Status of your Certificate
How to Apply or Renew a Certified Nurse Assistant Certificate
How to Find a Training Program or Provider to Become a Certified Nurse Assistant
Submit a completed
Renewal Application (CDPH 283C) (PDF) along with
documentation (CDPH 283A) (PDF) showing your completion of forty-eight (48) hours of
In-Service Training/Continuing Education Units (CEUs) within your two (2) year certification period. A minimum of twelve (12) of the forty-eight (48) hours shall be completed in each year of the two (2) year certification period. A maximum of twenty-four (24) of the forty-eight (48) hours may be obtained only through a
CDPH-approved online computer training program. You may submit the application by mail or by faxing it to our department.
An applicant for certification as a CNA shall comply with each of the following:
You must complete and submit the following to CDPH:
Once you have completed the CDPH-approved training program, you will need to successfully pass the Competency Evaluation Examination. If you successfully pass the Competency Examination, you must allow at least thirty (30) days for CDPH to receive your examination results from the testing vendor.
In order to transfer your out-of-state certificate to California, you must complete and submit the following to CDPH:
- An Initial Application (CDPH 283E (PDF))
- Obtain your fingerprints either one of the two methods below:
- Electronic Fingerprints
- Fingerprint Cards
- Applicants residing out of
state may complete the fingerprint card (FD-258) and submit two completed cards
to the department. Fingerprint cards (FD-258) must
be accompanied by a $32.00 check or money order made payable to "The
Department of Justice". Please refer to the DOJ's website (PDF) for
instructions on how to correctly complete the fingerprint card (FD-258).
- A copy of your out-of-state CNA certificate.
- Proof of work showing that you provided nursing or nursing-related services in a facility to residents for compensation under the supervision of a licensed health professional within the last two (2) years. Acceptable forms of proof of work are a copy of a paystub or W2. If you have received your initial out-of-state CNA certificate within the last two (2) years, you do not need to submit proof of work.
- The Verification of Current Nurse Assistant Certification (CDPH 931) (PDF). Part I of the CDPH 931 is to be completed by the applicant and Part II is to be completed by the endorsing state agency (the state you are coming from).
If you are presently enrolled in (or completed) a Registered Nurse, Licensed Vocational Nurse, or Licensed Psychiatric Technician program, have received medical training in military services, or have received the above license(s) from a foreign country or U.S. state, you may not have to take further training and may qualify to take the Competency Evaluation. You must complete and submit the following to CDPH:
- An Initial Application (CDPH 283E (PDF))
- Obtain your fingerprints in California utilizing a Live Scan Agency and submit a copy of the completed Request for Live Scan Service (BCIA 8016) (PDF). Please also download the Request for Live Scan Service Sample (BCIA 8016 Sample) (PDF), which will show you how to correctly complete the BCIA 8016 form.
- An official, sealed transcript of training (students may substitute the official transcript with a sealed official school letter, listing equivalent training and the completion of at least the "Fundamentals of Nursing" course). The letter must include the completion date(s) of the training/courses and hours/units completed. If discharged from the military, a copy of the DD-214 can substitute for an official transcript.
- Proof of work (paystub or W2) showing the applicant has provided nursing or nursing-related services in a facility to residents for compensation under the supervision of a licensed health professional within the last two (2) years. Proof of work is not required for current nursing students or if the college degree was obtained within the last two (2) years.
Upon completion of the above requirements, the applicant will be sent information regarding the Competency Evaluation examination. You must allow a minimum of thirty (30) days for CDPH to receive your examination results from the testing vendor. Once you have successfully passed the examination, maintained criminal record clearance, and the results from the testing vendor have been received, CDPH will issue a current CNA certificate.
State and Federal Requirements
Certified Nurse Assistant Forms