The California Department of Public Health's (CDPH) CMP program is pleased to announce the CMP Reinvestment Application Template (PDF) for a new grant opportunity for SNFs. Earlier this year CDPH, in conjunction with the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), released a communicative technology grant to aid in virtual telehealth and family visitation for residents. This AFL announces a new grant opportunity for SNFs to use up to $3,000 for tents, clear partitions, and installation costs to aid with the expenses of establishing in-person visitation.
How to Apply for CMP Funds
Applicants must complete the fillable, electronic template application to request in-person visitation aids by using the CMP Reinvestment Application Template (PDF). The application should include details such as the project's purpose, specific benefits to nursing facility residents, projected itemized budget, deliverables, risks, and sustainability of the project.
Please submit applications electronically, either with an e-signature or as a signed hard copy scan to CMPGrantApplications@cdph.ca.gov.
Unlike the communicative technology grant, SNFs will not be allowed to request an exemption for exceeding the $3,000 threshold, regardless of the size of the facility. SNFs that applied and/or received funding for the communicative technology program may still request and receive funding for the in-person visitation aid grant funding.
Please review the application template carefully. Key instructions are also listed below:
- Allowable items include: Tents including installation (purchase and/or rental) and clear dividers (e.g., plexiglass or similar product) including installation.
- Prohibited expenses include a variety of support materials, such as portable heating units, outdoor furniture, Personal Protective Equipment, etc. See application for extended list.
- Applicants must ensure Life Safety Code (LSC) requirements found in 42 CFR 483.90 are met, unless waived under the public health emergency declaration.
- Applicants must ensure appropriate infection prevention and control practices are in place.
- Facilities must use the fillable application template, CMP Reinvestment Application Template (PDF). Requests will not be accepted via alternative formats (Word documents, requests in the body of an email, etc.).
- Requests are limited to a maximum of $3,000.
- Applicants cannot use the standard CMP Reinvestment application process to supplement their visitation aid request to obtain additional in-person visitation aids in excess of the $3,000 maximum limit.
- Applicants may either submit the application electronically with an e-signature or applicants may submit a signed hard copy scan.
- SNFs may not request funding on multiple application submissions. Once an application is approved and funded, no other requests will be reviewed for that specific SNF.
- Once applicants receive an approval, they may either purchase the approved items immediately and wait for the reimbursement payment, or they may wait for reimbursement prior to purchasing the approved items.
Similar to the communicative technology grant, applications may include one SNF entity, or multiple SNFs under a parent company. CDPH encourages parent companies with multiple facilities to submit a single application for ease of processing. Please share this information with licensed SNFs throughout California that may benefit from this opportunity.
CDPH will review applications within 14 business days of receipt and assess projects based on:
- Eligibility of the proposed project
- Benefit to residents of SNFs
- Proposed outcome metrics, replicability, budget, and distribution of funds
- Targeted population: diversity, geographic locations, and consideration of Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) needs
For more information on CMP grant funds, please visit Long-Term Care Facility Citation Penalty Account Funds, Reports, and Grant Application. CDPH's website contains information regarding previously approved projects, CMP project funding, and application requirements. If you have any questions about this AFL, please email CMPGrantApplications@cdph.ca.gov.
Original signed by Heidi W. Steinecker
Heidi W. Steinecker