Long-Term Care Facility Citation Penalty Account Funds, Reports and Grant Application
NOTICE: Emergency COVID-19 Funding for Communicative Technology
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued Guidance for Infection Control and Prevention of COVID-19. This guidance directs nursing homes to significantly restrict visitors and nonessential personnel to protect nursing home residents. Recognizing that visitor restrictions may be difficult for residents and families, CMS has developed this application template for requests for the use of Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Reinvestment funds to provide residents with adaptive communicative technologies.
Examples of allowable uses of CMP Funds for communicative technologies and accessories:
- Protective covers that can be cleaned and disinfected
- Assistive/adaptive equipment
- Tripods (floor or table top)
- Tablet cleaning and disinfection
products that are in accordance with
recommendations of the device manufacturer
|Prohibited expenses include but are not limited to:|||
- Internet or software subscription fees
- Indirect Cost. For example: federally determined indirect (facilities and administrative-F&A) costs such as staff fringe benefits or facility maintenance.
How to Apply:
NOTE: Applicants for COVID-19 communicative technology funds are required to use the provided template. CDPH will not approve applications using alternative formats.
Once completed, the application should be sent to CMPGrantApplications@cdph.ca.gov. Applications will be processed in the ordered received. Please allow 4-6 weeks for processing.
About Civil Money Penalty (CMP) Funds
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) may impose federal penalties against a nursing home when it is not in compliance with one or more Medicare and Medicaid participation requirements.
A portion of the funds are returned to the states where the CMPs are imposed. These funds are reinvested via a grant process to support activities that benefit nursing home residents by improving their quality of life. Read more about the funding in our All Facilities Letter (AFL 19-03) (PDF) announcing the opportunity.
What CMP Funds Can Be Used For
CMP funds may be used for (but are not limited to) the following:
- Assistance to support and protect residents of a facility that closes or is decertified
- Time-limited expenses incurred while relocating residents to home and community-based settings or to another facility when a facility is closed or downsized (pursuant to an agreement with the state Medicaid agency)
- Projects that support resident and family councils and other consumer involvement in assuring quality care in skilled nursing facilities (SNFs)
- Facility improvement initiatives approved by CMS, such as joint training of facility staff and surveyors, or technical assistance for facilities implementing quality assurance and performance improvement programs.
How to Apply for CMP Funds
An organization should fill out a CMP grant application and include details such as target audience, intended outcome, deliverables, sustainability, and replicability of the project. Once completed, the application should be sent to CMPGrantApplications@cdph.ca.gov. (Note: Due to the length of time for the contract approval process, all applications submitted after 12/10/2019 should have a projected start date no earlier than 7/1/2020.)
Review of Applications
Applications will be reviewed within 14 business days of receipt. Evaluations will be assessing projects based on items such as:
- Eligibility of the proposed project
- Benefit to residents of SNFs
- Proposed metrics of outcomes, replicability, budget and distribution of funds
- Targeted population: diversity, geographic locations, consideration of ADA needs
If approved, CDPH will submit the application within 30 business days of receipt to CMS for review and signatory acceptance. Following an approval by CMS, CDPH will initiate the contract process with approved applicants. (Please allow 6-7 months for contract processing and execution.)
Prior Funded Projects
More information about CMP-funded projects in California can be found on the CMS CMP Reinvestment Resource website page.
CMP Fund Statements
Survey & Certification Group Memo: 12-13-NH (PDF) (Opens in new tab)
State Health Facilities Citation Penalties Account (PDF)
Federal Health Facilities Citation Penalties Account (PDF)
Current Award Amounts (PDF)
Annual Budget Act appropriations from both the state and federal accounts are provided to the CDPH, CHCQ, L&C for all of the purposes previously identified. CDPH uses the funds primarily for temporary management appointments and improvement of quality care in long-term healthcare facilities.
The Department of Aging receives an annual Budget Act appropriation from the state account for its Ombudsman Program.
* If you are having difficulty accessing any document, please contact CDPH at GFEDU@cdph.ca.gov to request the information in an alternative format.