California WIC State Plan
The State Plan is a written agreement between the United States Department of Agriculture and CDPH/WIC Division that assures compliance with federal program requirements. The plan is submitted each year and covers October through September of each year.
Federal Fiscal Year (FFY) 2024
State Plan Goals and Objectives
(October 1, 2023 through September 30, 2024)
Goal 1: Improve identification of and outreach to families so they can enroll in WIC
- By 9/30/2024, receive 2023 Medi-Cal data and match to WIC administrative data to identify eligible non-participants by geographic area.
- By 9/30/2024, improve targeted recruitment activities by focusing on infants and children enrolled in Medi-Cal but not WIC.
- By 9/30/2024, create Tableau maps and data files describing the number, language, and race/ethnicity of eligible non-participants within a two square mile hexagon area.
Goal 2: Improve delivery of services provided by local agencies
- By 9/30/2024, provide training on Baby Behavior Basics modules to all direct service WIC local agency staff.
- By 9/30/2024, provide WIC local agency counseling staff with the Level 2 BF Curricula training.
- By 9/30/2024, identify areas of focus for program improvement based on BF observations conducted.
- By 9/30/2024, increase the quality of initial certification appointments for pregnant participants through staff observation and mentoring.
- By 9/30/2024, modernize the process of monitoring local agencies to address the hybrid delivery of services.
Goal 3: Improve state operations and support to vendors
- By 9/30/24, enhance the vendor portal to allow electronic submission of new vendor applications.
Comments and feedback on the State Plan may be submitted at any time throughout the year and will be considered for the following year's State Plan. Contact the CDPH/WIC Division State Headquarters for additional information or to provide comment in writing:
Mail: CDPH WIC Division
3901 Lennane Drive
Sacramento, CA 95834
2023 State Plan Goals and Objectives
2022 State Plan Goals and Objectives (PDF)