DEVELOP AN EVACUATION PLAN
After an earthquake occurs, you may need to evacuate your home and/or the area. Prepare by planning and practicing for evacuation:
- Take a few minutes with your family to discuss a home evacuation plan. Sketch a floor plan of your home and identify the main evacuation routes.
- Plan a second way to exit from each room or area. If you need special equipment such as a rope ladder, mark where it is located.
- Mark where your emergency food, water, first aid kits and fire extinguishers are stored.
- Mark where the utility switches or valves are located so that they can be turned off.
- Identify an emergency meeting place where your family can gather once they're outside of the house. Let your nearest family members know the location as well.
- Write an emergency checklist including medicines and documents you will need to take with you if you have to evacuate.
- Plan for your pet's needs, including food, water, bedding and any medicines.
- Plan to lock doors and windows and turn off the utilities, but only if time permits. Your family's safety is important above all else.
Write Down Important Information
Make a list of important information and put it in a secure location. Include on your list:
- Birth certificates.
- Ownership certificates.
- Social Security cards.
- Insurance policies.
- Household inventory, including:
A list of contents.
Photographs or videos of contents in every room.
Photographs of items of high value, such as jewelry, paintings and collectors' items.