AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) Eligibility
The AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) is for people diagnosed with HIV or AIDS. The program provides eligible California residents with:
- Free FDA-approved medications used in the treatment and suppression of HIV/AIDS and HIV/AIDS-related opportunistic infections (for a list of covered medications, please refer to the ADAP Formulary (PDF)
- Premium payment assistance for individuals enrolled in a private health insurance plan (for more information, visit the Health Insurance Premium Payment Assistance page)
- Premium payment assistance for individuals enrolled in a Medicare Part D prescription plan (for more information, visit Medicare Part D Premium Payment Assistance page)
To be eligible for the ADAP program, a client must:
- Be a resident of California;
- Have a positive HIV/AIDS diagnosis;
- Be at least 18 years old;
- Have an annual Modified Adjusted Gross Income (MAGI) that does not exceed 500% Federal Poverty Level based on household size and income;
- Not be fully covered by Medi-Cal or any other third party payers.
How to Apply
Schedule an appointment with a certified ADAP Enrollment Worker at a certified ADAP enrollment site. ADAP enrollment sites are located throughout the state. To find an enrollment site near you, please refer to our ADAP Enrollment Site Locator or contact the ADAP call center at (844) 421-7050, Monday – Friday, 8AM – 5PM (excluding holidays).
Once a client is enrolled in ADAP they will be responsible for informing their enrollment worker or ADAP of any changes to their income or residency status. Clients need to re-enroll in the ADAP program before their birthday month every year by submitting all of the required documents.
ADAP applicants who meet the eligibility criteria listed above must:
- Re-enroll into the program annually
- Re-enrollment is due every year on the applicant's birthday
- Applicants must re-enroll in-person with a certified ADAP Enrollment Worker
- Re-enrollment may be completed up to 45 days before an applicant's birthday
- If there are changes to the applicant's eligibility information, the applicant must report the change to a certified ADAP Enrollment Worker.
Please contact the ADAP call center at (844) 421-7050. Call center staff are available Monday-Friday, 8AM – 5PM (excluding holidays).
For client specific ADAP eligibility questions, ADAP enrollment workers can contact their designated ADAP Advisor.