This is a notice to all health facilities requesting certification for participation in the Medicare Program from the California Department of Public Health, Licensing and Certification (L&C) Program.
The Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) has issued directions to State Survey Agencies (in California, the State Survey Agency is L&C) requiring that prior to conducting any certification surveys for participation in the Medicare Program, providers must first provide justification demonstrating that significant access-to-care issues for Medicare beneficiaries will result if the facility is not certified All providers requesting certification for participation in the Medicare Program must submit their justification to the appropriate L&C district office which in turn will forward the request and justification to CMS for approval.
This new process will affect all facilities that have requested and/or are currently awaiting an initial Medicare certification survey from L&C, regardless of when the application/request was submitted. If approval
is secured from CMS, L&C will notify the provider and will schedule a nunannounced survey upon written notice from the provider that the facility is ready for their certification survey.
If the provider is a home health agency, surgery clinic/ambulatory surgery center, hospice, or hospital, you may elect to by-pass this process and seek Medicare certification status through one of the CMS approved Accreditation Organizations since this may be a faster process. Attached is a list of organizations that provide Medicare certification to home health agencies, ambulatory surgery centers, hospices, and hospitals through the “deemed status” process.
If you have any questions regarding this procedure, please contact your local Licensing and Certification District Office.
Original Signed by Kathleen Billingsley, R.N.
Kathleen Billingsley, R.N.
1. Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO)- for hospitals, critical access hospitals, ambulatory surgery centers, home health agencies, and hospice
One Rennaissance Blvd. Oakbrook Terrace, IL 60181
Phone: (630) 792-5000 FAX: (630) 792-5005
2. Community Health Accreditation Programs (CHAP)- for home health agencies and hospice
1300 19th St., NW, Suite 150 Washington DC 20036
Toll Free: (800) 656-9656 Phone: (202) 862-3413 FAX: (202)862-3419
3. Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC)- for ambulatory surgery centers
3201 Old Glenview Rd. #300 Wilmette, IL 60091-2999
Phone: (847) 853-6060
4. American Association for Accreditation for Ambulatory Surgery Facilities, Inc. (AAAASF)- for ambulatory surgery centers
5101 Washington Street, Suite 2F Gurnee, IL 60031
Toll free: (888) 545-5222
5. American Osteopathic Association (AOA)- for hospitals, critical access hospitals, and ambulatory surgery centers
142 East Ontario Street Chicago, IL 60611
Toll free: (800) 621-1773
Phone: (312) 202-8000
6. Accreditation Commission for Health Care, Inc. (ACHC)- for home health agencies
4700 Falls of Neuse Road, Suite 280 Raleigh, NC 27609
Voice: (919) 785-1214 FAX: (919) 785-3011