Skip Navigation Linkslaws-requirement-faqs

immunization branch

shots for school logo

Requirements FAQs


Other Topics 


What is the definition of admission?

17 CCR section 6000

(a) “Admission” means a pupil's first attendance in a school or pre-kindergarten facility or re-entry after withdrawing from a previous enrollment.

  1. (1) “Unconditional admission” is admission based upon documented receipt of all required immunizations for the pupil's age or grade, in accordance with section 6025, except for those immunizations:
    (A) permanently exempted for medical reasons in accordance with section 6051, or

    (B) exempted for personal beliefs in accordance with Health and Safety Code section 120335.

  2. “Conditional admission” is provisional admission for a pupil who has received some but not all required immunizations and is not due for any vaccine dose at the time of admission in accordance with sections 6035 and 6050.

What is conditional admission?

Children behind on their required immunizations may be admitted conditionally if they are not currently due for any doses or have a temporary medical exemption. See Conditional Admission FAQs for further information and the conditional admission schedule.

Students Without Classroom-Based Instruction 

What are the requirements for students entering a home-based private school or independent study program and do not receive classroom-based instruction?

Students entering:

  • A home-based private school or
  • An independent study program and do not receive classroom-based instruction [pursuant to Article 5.5 (commencing with Section 51745) of Chapter 5 of Part 28 of the Education Code]

are not subject to immunization requirements. Additional information about classroom-based instruction is available in FAQ 18 at Independent Study Frequently Asked Questions (CA Dept of Education).  Schools are still required to request, maintain, and report records of immunizations that have been received for these students.

What are the differences between distance learning, independent study, and a home-based private school?

Please see Information from the California Department of Education on the differences between:

Other Topics

Do schools still need to record immunization information and report on the immunization status of all students, including students who are exempt from entry requirements due to Senate Bill 277 (Pan, 2015)?

Yes, schools will still need to:

  • Record immunizations for all students at entry.
  • Report on the immunization status of all students at the checkpoints of child care, kindergarten, and 7th grade.​

Are students who are homeless or in foster care subject to the immunization requirements?

Yes. However, a student who is homeless or in foster care, when transferring into a new school, may be admitted immediately if the student arrives without immunization records. Schools should utilize their resources to make sure these students have received all required immunizations as soon as possible.

Are California schools and child care facilities required to report the immunization status of all pupils at selected ages and grades?

Yes. All California schools and child care facilities, whether public or private, are required to report to the California Department of Public Health and the local health department each year the immunization status of all pupils, without exceptions, admitted at specified ages or grade levels. (Citation: California Health and Safety Code Section 120375 and 17 CCR § 6075)

May schools and child care facilities share student immunization information with public health agencies? 

Reporting of student immunization information to public health agencies is allowed by state and federal laws, including but not limited to

California laws:

  • Chapters 1 (commencing with section 120325) and 2.5 (commencing with section 120440) of Part 2, of Division 105 of the Health and Safety Code

Federal laws:

  • The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996 (HIPAA) (45 CFR Part 160 and Subparts A and E of Part 164), and

The Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) (20 U.S.C. § 1232g; 34 CFR Part 99), which applies to educational agencies or institutions that receive funds from programs administered by the U.S. Department of Education

Where may I find immunization coverage data for children in schools and child care facilities?

Data are posted at the following sites:

Can schools use their local immunization registry to verify COVID-19 vaccination status of staff? 

Schools cannot access the local Immunization Information System (California Immunization Registry [CAIR2] or Healthy Futures [RIDE]) to check the COVID-19 vaccination status of their staff. CDPH would urge you to consult with your Counsel and to review HSC 120440, in particular subdivision (d). 

Individuals can obtain their vaccination records by providing: 

  • An immunization history report from their medical provider 
  • Their physical CDC COVID immunization card (COVID-19 only) 
  • Their Digital Vaccine Record

Do nosodes, homeoprophyla​xis vaccines, or homeopathic vaccines meet the immunization requirements for school and child care attendance?​​​

No. Only immunizations recommended by the federal Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices meet attendance requirements per California Code of Regulations, Title 17, section 6000 (m). ​​

Page Last Updated :