Addition of Ready, Set, PrEP for Unisured Clients
The purpose of this memo is to allow for the addition of "Ready, Set, PrEP" as an option for PrEP-AP uninsured clients required to enroll into a Patient Assistance Program (PAP).
Updated PrEP-AP Policy for Insured clients
Uninsured PrEP-AP clients were previously required to enroll into Gilead's Advancing Access® Patient Assistance Program to receive medication assistance with Truvada® and Descovy®. Uninsured clients can now enroll into either: "Ready, Set, PrEP" or Gilead Advancing Access® patient assistance program, to cover the cost of medication. PrEP-AP will be removing the requirement to upload proof of patient assistance program enrollment into the ADAP Enrollment System (AES). Although, PrEP-AP will remove the requirement to upload proof of a patient assistance program enrollment, clients must enroll into a patient assistance program, if eligibile.
Pharmacy Access for PrEP Medications
Enrollment in a patient assistance program is a requirement for uninsured PrEP-AP clients, and uninsured clients who do not enroll into a patient assistance program will not be able to access PrEP medications at a MagellanRx pharmacy. PrEP-AP clients enrolled in Ready, Set, PrEP or Gilead Advancing Access® must access their PrEP medications at a pharmacy associated with their pharmaceutical assistance program. All other medications on the PrEP-AP Formulary (PDF) must be accessed at a MagellanRx pharmacy.
Federal Ready, Set, PrEP program: 855-447-8410
- Covers cost of Truvada® or Descovy®
- No income limits
- Must not have prescription drug coverage
- Resident of the U.S. or its territories; social security Number (SSN) not required
- Have taken an HIV test and received a negative result before enrolling in the program
- Have a prescription for PrEP
- Live in the United States, including tribal lands or territories
- Ready, Set, PrEP is not used as a determination for public charge (PDF)
PrEP-AP clients enrolled in Ready, Set, PrEP must access their PrEP prescriptions at a Ready, Set, PrEP pharmacy.
Gilead Advancing Access® Patient Assistance Program: 800-226-2056
Gilead Advancing Access® Patient Assistance Program Form (PDF)
- Covers cost of Truvada or Descovy
- Income at or below 500% FPL but above 138% FPL (Medi-Cal eligible)
- Resident of the U.S. or its territories; SSN not required; undocumented residents eligible
- Must be uninsured or insurance denies coverage, or have Medicare with no Part D benefits
PrEP-AP clients enrolled in Gilead Advancing Access® must access their PrEP prescriptions at an AssistRx pharmacy.
If you have any questions regarding the changes, please contact, PrEP-AP at PrEP.firstname.lastname@example.org 1-800-421-7050.
Sharisse Kemp, MSW
ADAP Branch Chief
California Department of Public Health