I, as State Public Health Officer of the State of California, order:
The provisions in Section 1.a. and 1.b. of my State Public Health Officer Order of January 5, 2021, are amended as follows (changes in italics):
1. In order to prioritize services to those who are sickest and prioritize resources for providers directly caring for them, when a county is in a region under the Regional Stay at Home Order that has zero percent ICU availability (0%) and the CDPH calculation of the ICU availability for that county is ten percent (10%) or less:
a. With the exception of children's hospitals, all hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers shall categorize all elective procedures by Tier using the Elective Surgery Acuity Scale (ESAS) from St. Louis University and suggested by the American College of Surgeons.
b. With the exception of children's hospitals, all hospitals and ambulatory surgery centers operating under the hospital license or hospital based clinic in the county shall delay ESAS Tier 1 and 2 surgical procedures for at least as long as this Order remains effective in the county.
2. All other terms of my Order of January 5, 2021, remain in effect and unchanged.
3. This Amendment shall take effect immediately.
4. The provisions of this Amendment shall remain in effect as long as my Order of January 5, 2021.
5. This Amendment is issued pursuant to Health and Safety Code sections 120125, 120140, 120175,120195 and 131080; EO N-60-20, N-25-20, N-27-20, N-39-20, and other authority provided for under the Emergency Services Act; and other applicable law.
Tomás J. Aragón, M.D., Dr.P.H.
Director & State Public Health Officer
California Department of Public Health