The Adoption Process
The Court Report of Adoption VS 44 (PDF) form is utilized to:
- Amend a California birth certificate after an adoption has been finalized
- Create a court order delayed birth certificate after a child that was born outside of the outside of the United States, Territories of the United States, or Canada is adopted in California
Note: Any amendment requests received for a child born in another state, territory of the United States, or Canada, will be forwarded to the Vital Records in the jurisdiction where the child was born.
For further information please see the informational pamphlet The Adoption Process (PDF) and checklist.
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended. Required documents include copies of the following:
- Certified copy of court orders
- Adoption Orders
- Final Decree of Adoptions
A certified copy of the Adoption Order or the Final Decree of Adoption is required when submitting a Court Report of Adoption.
Note: The Court Report of Adoption VS 44 form may differ depending on the state in which the adoption was finalized. CDPH-VR will accept other states’ certified Court Report of Adoption forms.
Certified Court Order
A “certified” copy of the court order must be a copy of the order that was originally prepared by the court. It cannot be an original printout. The photocopy you receive from the court must have all of the following:
- An original court seal
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the judge
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the court clerk
- If an adoptee was born and adopted in California after 1972, there is no fee to amend the birth certificate and receive one copy of the new birth certificate. Additional copies are twenty-five dollar ($25) each
- If an adoption was finalized in California prior to 1972, there is a twenty dollar ($20) processing fee, which includes one certified copy of the new certificate. Additional copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
- If an adoption is finalized in another state or country, there is a twenty dollar ($20) processing fee, which includes one certified copy of the new certificate. Additional copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Adoptions are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed once a document has been certified, (no original entries)
- This form will assist in creating the new birth certificate
Informational Pamphlet The Adoption Process (PDF) and checklist
The Court Report of Adoption VS 44 (PDF) form
Other Types of Amendment Forms
Court Order Name Change pamphlet/form/checklist
New Birth Certificate After Sex Change Reassignment pamphlet/form/checklist
Correcting a Sex Field Error pamphlet/form/checklist
Marriage Certificates pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Acknowledgement of Paternity pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Death and Fetal Death pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Delayed Registration of Birth pamphlet/form/checklist
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Marriage pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Birth pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Death pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Fetal Death pamphlet/form
Supplemental Name Report – Birth pamphlet/form/checklist