Delayed Registration of Birth
A Delayed Registration of Birth VS 85 (PDF) form is utilized to register a California birth when:
- The birth that was not registered within the first year
- A certified copy of the original birth certificate is not obtainable
- Proper evidence and affidavits supporting the California birth are available (see informational pamphlet for description).
For further information please see the informational pamphlet for Delayed Registration of Birth (PDF) and checklist.
Requirements to Support the Birth Occurred in California
Supporting documents are used to establish the birth occurred in California. These supporting documents must show the date the document was established, provide the parent’s name, and provide the date and place of birth of the child. Acceptable documents include certified or original copies of the following:
- Hospital birth records
- Baptismal certificate or other church records
- School registration or transcripts
- Military service records (DD 214 form)
- Voter registration cards
- Birth certificate of applicant’s child
- Marriage certificate of applicant (county or state issued)
- Newspaper notice of birth (entire page from newspaper, which includes date published and name of newspaper)
The number of supporting documents required to register the delayed birth is determined by the following:
- If only the applicant is signing, two (2) pieces of documentary evidence must be provided, one (1) of which must show parentage
- If one of the witnesses to the birth is the physician or other principal attendant, only one piece of documentary evidence is required
- If there are two (2) witnesses to the birth signing the affidavit, then one (1) piece of documentary evidence is required
Note: If supporting documentation is not available or the witnesses to the birth were not at least five (5) years of age at the time the birth occurred, then a Court Order Delayed Registration of Birth is required.
Requirements only if the child was born on or after January 1, 1995
One of the following supporting documents is required to include the father/parent not giving birth name on the birth certificate
- Photocopy of parent’s marriage – If the parents are married to each other
- Declaration of Paternity (CS909) form – If the parents are not married to each other
- Photocopy of parent’s State Registered Domestic Partnership Declaration – If the parents are in a State Registered Domestic Partnership
A notarized Sworn Statement is required if a certified authorized copy of the delayed certificate is requested. For explanation of who may receive a certified authorized copy view this link.
Note: A sworn statement is not required if submitting a copy of a witnessed Declaration of Paternity (CS909) form.
- Delayed Registrations of Birth require a twenty-three dollar ($23) registration fee, which includes a certified copy of the birth certificate
- Additional copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Delayed Registration of Births are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 85 form
- This form will become the certified birth certificate
Informational Pamphlet Delayed Registration of Birth (PDF) and checklist
Delayed Registration of Birth VS 85 (PDF) form
Other Types of Amendment Forms
Court Order Name Change pamphlet/form/checklist
New Birth Certificate After Sex Change Reassignment pamphlet/form/checklist
Correcting a Sex Field Error pamphlet/form/checklist
Marriage Certificates pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Adoption Process pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Acknowledgement of Paternity pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Death and Fetal Death pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Marriage pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Birth pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Death pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Fetal Death pamphlet/form
Supplemental Name Report – Birth pamphlet/form/checklist