Delayed Registration of Birth
A Delayed Registration of Birth VS 85 (PDF) form is utilized to register a California birth when:
- The birth was not registered within the first year
- A certified copy of the original birth certificate is not obtainable
- Proper evidence and affidavits supporting the California birth are available (see informational pamphlet for description).
To request an informational pamphlet, please provide the recipient’s name, mailing address, and the name of the pamphlet, "Delayed Registration of Birth," to the Amendment Section at AMENDVR@cdph.ca.gov or call (916) 445-2684.
Delayed Registration of Birth applications must be accompanied by documents that support the birth occurred in California. These supporting documents must show the date the document was established, which must be at least 5 years prior to the date of application, or 2 years if the child is under 12 years of age, and provide the date and place of birth of the child. Acceptable documents include certified or original copies of the following:
- Hospital birth records
- Baptismal certificate or other church records
- School registration or transcripts
- Military service records (DD 214 form)
- Voter registration cards
- Birth certificate of applicant’s child
- Marriage certificate of applicant (county or state issued)
- Newspaper notice of birth (entire page from newspaper, which includes date published and name of newspaper)
Required documentation is determined as follows:
- If only the applicant is signing, two (2) pieces of documentary evidence must be provided, one (1) of which must show parentage
- If one of the witnesses to the birth is the physician or other principal attendant, only one piece of documentary evidence is required
- If there are two (2) witnesses to the birth signing the affidavit, then one (1) piece of documentary evidence is required
Note: A witness to the birth must have been at least five (5) years of age at the time the birth occurred. If supporting documentation is not available or witnesses to the birth were not at least 5 years of age at the time the birth occurred, then a Court Order Delayed Registration of Birth is required.
Child was born on or after January 1, 1995
If the child was born on or after January 1, 1995, one of the following supporting documents is required to include the name of father/parent not giving birth's name on the birth certificate:
- Photocopy of parents’ marriage certificate – If the parents are married to each other
- Photocopy of parents’ State Registered Domestic Partnership Declaration (SRDP) – If the parents are in a State Registered Domestic Partnership
- Copy of the Voluntary Declaration of Parentage (DCSS 0909) form that was filed with the Department of Child Support Services – If the parents are not married to each other or in an SRDP
A notarized Sworn Statement, completed by an authorized person, is required to receive a certified authorized copy of the amended certificate. Please visit the Authorized Copy vs. Informational Copy webpage for a list of authorized persons.
- Delayed Registrations of Birth require a twenty-three dollar ($23) registration fee, which includes a certified copy of the birth certificate
- Additional copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Delayed Registration of Births are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 85 form
- This form will become the certified birth certificate
Delayed Registration of Birth VS 85 (PDF) form
Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (Spanish)
Directory of County Vital Record Offices
Other Amendment Types
General Birth Amendment
Court Order Name Change
Correcting a Sex Field Error
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage
Supplemental Name Report
Delayed and Court Order Delayed Vital Event Types
Court Order Delayed Registration of Birth
Court Order Delayed Registration of Marriage
Court Order Delayed Registration of Death
Court Order Delayed Registration of Fetal Death