Correcting or Amending a Marriage Certificate
An Affidavit to Amend a Marriage Record
VS 24C (PDF) form is required to:
- Correct spelling errors
- Add information to most blank items
- Correct information that was originally entered incorrectly
- Add a new name to the new name field on the marriage certificate
- A certified court order is required to add a new name to the new name field
For additional information, please see sample document
(PDF), or the informational pamphlet:
Note: Confidential marriage records must be amended through the county clerk in the county where the license was issued. Contact information for county clerks may be found in the county registrars and recorders
Certified Court Order
A “certified” copy of the court order must be a copy of the order that was originally prepared by the court. It cannot be an original printout. The photocopy you receive from the court must have all of the following:
- An original court seal
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the judge
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the court clerk
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended. Acceptable documents include copies of the following:
- Photocopy of person’s birth certificate whose information is being corrected (if in a foreign language it must be translated into English)
- Certified copy of the court order name change (to update either of the party to the marriage’s name)
- Photocopy of naturalization certificate and petition for name change form from the Department of Homeland Security (to update either of the party to the marriage’s name)
- Any other documents that support the request for the amendment
A notarized Sworn Statement, completed by an authorized person, is required to receive a certified authorized copy of the amended certificate. Please visit the Authorized Copy vs. Informational Copy webpage for a list of authorized persons.
- Within the first year from date of marriage: There is no fee to amend a certificate. However, to receive a certified copy of the amended certificate there is a fee of fifteen dollars ($15) per certified copy.
*EFFECTIVE January 01, 2022* The fee to receive a certified copy of the amended certificate will increase to seventeen dollars ($17) per copy.
- Any time after the first year of marriage: There is a twenty-three dollar ($23) processing fee, which includes one certified copy of the amended certificate. Each additional certified copy is fifteen dollars ($15). *EFFECTIVE January 01, 2022* The processing fee will increase to twenty-six dollars ($26), which includes one certified copy of the amended marriage certificate. The fee for each additional copy will increase to seventeen dollars ($17) per copy.
Please refer to the
Processing Times webpage for current processing times.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 24C form
- This will create a multi-page certificate with the amendment attached
Affidavit to Amend a Record
VS 24C (PDF) form.
To view sample form click here (PDF).
Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (PDF) (Spanish) (PDF)
Affidavit to Amend a Marriage Record (PDF) pamphlet
(Español) Declaración Jurada para Enmendar un Registro de Matrimonio (PDF)
Directory of County Vital Record Offices
Other Amendment Types
General Birth Amendment
Court Order Name Change
Correcting a Sex Field Error
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage
Supplemental Name Report