Correcting or Amending a Marriage Certificate
An Affidavit to Amend a Marriage Record VS 24C (PDF) form is required to:
- Correct spelling errors
- Add information to most blank items
- Correct information that was originally entered incorrectly
- Add a new name to the new name field on the marriage certificate
- A certified court order is required to add a new name to the new name field
For further information please see the informational pamphlet for Affidavit to Amend a Marriage Record (PDF), checklist (PDF) and sample document (PDF).
Certified Court Order
A “certified” copy of the court order must be a copy of the order that was originally prepared by the court. It cannot be an original printout. The photocopy you receive from the court must have all of the following:
- An original court seal
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the judge
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the court clerk
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended. Acceptable documents include copies of the following:
- Photocopy of person’s birth certificate whose information is being corrected (if in a foreign language it must be translated into English)
- Certified copy of the court order name change (to update either of the party to the marriage’s name)
- Photocopy of naturalization certificate and petition for name change form from the Department of Homeland Security (to update either of the party to the marriage’s name)
- Any other documents that support the request for the amendment
A notarized Sworn Statement is required if a certified authorized copy of the amended certificate is requested. For explanation of who may receive a certified authorized copy view this link.
- Within the first year from date of marriage: There is no fee to amend a certificate. However, to receive a certified copy of the amended certificate there is a fee of fifteen dollars ($15) per certified copy
- Any time after the first year of marriage: There is a twenty-three dollar ($23) processing fee, which includes one certified copy of the amended certificate. Each additional certified copy is fifteen dollars ($15)
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Marriage Amendments are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 24C form
- This will create a multi-page certificate with the amendment attached
Informational Pamphlet Affidavit to Amend a Marriage Record (PDF) and checklist (PDF).
Affidavit to Amend a Record VS 24C (PDF) form. To view sample form click here (PDF).
Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (Spanish)
Other Amendment Types
General Birth Amendment
Court Order Name Change
Correcting a Sex Field Error
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage
Adjudication of Paternity
Supplemental Name Report