Skip Navigation LinksCorrecting-or-Amending-a-Birth-Certificate


Correcting or Amending a Birth Certificate

An Affidavit to Amend a Record VS 24 (PDF) form is required to:

  • Correct spelling errors
  • Add the child's first, middle, or last name to blank fields
  • Correct typographical or spelling errors for parents' name
  • Add an AKA (also known as) for the parent after a Court Order Name Change or name change obtained through the naturalization process

To request an informational pamphlet, please provide the recipient’s name, mailing address, and the name of the pamphlet, "Affidavit to Amend a Birth Record," to the Amendment Section at or call (916) 445-2684.

Supporting Documents

Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended.  Acceptable documents include copies of the following:

  • Birth Certificates
  • Passports
  • Certified copy of Court Orders (if required for amendment)
  • Immigration documents
  • Hospital records

Sworn Statement

A notarized Sworn Statement, completed by an authorized person, is required to receive a certified authorized copy of the amended certificate.  Please visit the Authorized Copy vs. Informational Copy webpage for a list of authorized persons.

Amendment Fees

  • Within the first year from date of birth: There is no fee to amend a certificate.  However, to receive a certified copy of the amended certificate there is a fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) per certified copy.
  • Any time after the first year of birth: There is a twenty-three dollar ($23) processing fee, which includes one certified copy of the amended certificate.  Additional certified copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each

Processing Times

CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.

Currently Birth Amendments are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.

Helpful Tips

  • Complete all documents in black ink
  • No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 24 form
  • This will create a multi-page certificate with the amendment attached

Helpful Links

Affidavit to Amend a Record VS 24 (PDF) form

Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (Spanish)

Directory of County Vital Record Offices

Other Amendment Types

Court Order Name Change

Correcting a Sex Field Error

Sex Change/Reassignment


Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage

Adjudication of Facts of Parentage

Supplemental Name Report

Death/Fetal Death


Page Last Updated :