Correcting or Amending a Birth Certificate
An Affidavit to Amend a Record VS 24 (PDF) form is required to:
- Correct spelling errors
- Add the child's first, middle, or last name to blank fields
- Correct typographical or spelling errors for parents' name
- Add an AKA (also known as) for the parent after a Court Order Name Change or name change obtained through the naturalization process
For additional information please see the informational pamphlet Affidavit to Amend a Birth Record.
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended. Acceptable documents include copies of the following:
- Birth Certificates
- Certified copy of Court Orders (if required for amendment)
- Immigration documents
- Hospital records
A notarized Sworn Statement, completed by an authorized person, is required to receive a certified authorized copy of the amended certificate. Please visit the Authorized Copy vs. Informational Copy webpage for a list of authorized persons.
- Within the first year from date of birth: There is no fee to amend a certificate. However, to receive a certified copy of the amended certificate there is a fee of twenty-five dollars ($25) per certified copy.
- Any time after the first year of birth: There is a twenty-three dollar ($23) processing fee, which includes one certified copy of the amended certificate. Additional certified copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Birth Amendments are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 24 form
- This will create a multi-page certificate with the amendment attached
Affidavit to Amend a Record VS 24 (PDF) form
Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (Spanish)
Affidavit to Amend a Birth Record pamphlet
Directory of County Vital Record Offices
Other Amendment Types
Court Order Name Change
Correcting a Sex Field Error
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage
Supplemental Name Report