Skip Navigation LinksCorrecting-or-Amending-a-Birth-Certificate-After-a-Sex-Change-Reassignment


Correcting or Amending a Birth Certificate After a Sex Change/Reassignment

A sex change/reassignment is defined as changing the sex listed on the person’s birth certificate to female, male, or nonbinary to match the person’s sex identity.

Though this change only requires the registrant’s self-attestation, a court order is required to change the name.

Note: A sex change/reassignment is not the same as a sex field correction.  A sex field error correction is completed to correct a clerical error made by the hospital or Local Registrar at the time the sex information was entered on the birth certificate, (i.e., entering female for male, or male for female).

An Affidavit to Amend a Record VS 24 (PDF) form must be submitted to change the sex listed on the birth certificate to match the person’s sex identity. When submitting a:

  • Court order changing name and sex, only one signature from the registrant is required for new certificate to be created.  Two people with knowledge of the facts may also sign the VS 24 form in lieu of the registrant.  The “Reason for Correction” (field 11) must state the court order number as well as a brief summary of what the court order is changing.
  • Sex change without a court order or name change – the registrant must self-attest under the penalty of perjury that the amended items on the affidavit are true and correct to the best of their knowledge.  The “Reason for Correction” (field 11) must state: to match the sex specified on my birth certificate to my sex identity and not for any fraudulent purposes.  When self-attesting the registrant is required to complete signature fields 12A-E of the affidavit only.

For further information please see the informational pamphlet for Obtaining a New Birth Certificate After Sex Change (PDF) and checklist.

To change the name on the birth certificate while changing sex, a certified copy of the court order changing name must be submitted.

Certified Court Order

A “certified” copy of the court order must be a copy of the order that was originally prepared by the court and signed by the judge.  It cannot be an original printout.  The photocopy you receive from the court must have all of the following:

  • An original court seal
  • A signature (or signature stamp) of the judge
  • An original signature (or signature stamp) of the court clerk

Supporting Documents

Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended.  Acceptable documents include copies of the following:

  • Vital Records (birth, death, marriage)
  • Any other documents that support the request for the amendment

Sworn Statement

A notarized Sworn Statement is required if a certified authorized copy of the amended certificate is requested, unless you are submitting a certified copy of a Court Order.  For explanation of who may receive a certified authorized copy view this link.

Certificate Fees

  • Sex Change/Reassignments require a twenty-three dollar ($23) fee to process, which includes one certified copy of the new certificate
  • Additional copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each

Processing Times

CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.

Currently Sex Change/Reassignments are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.

Helpful Tips

  • Complete all documents in black ink
  • No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 24 form
  • This form will assist in creating the new birth certificate

Helpful Links

Informational Pamphlet Obtaining a New Birth Certificate After Sex Change (PDF) and checklist

Affidavit to Amend a Record VS 24 (PDF) form

Sworn Statement

Other Types of Amendment Forms

Birth pamphlet/form/checklist

Court Order Name Change pamphlet/form/checklist

Correcting a Sex Field Error pamphlet/form/checklist

Marriage Certificates pamphlet/form/sample/checklist

Adoption Process pamphlet/form/sample/checklist

Adjudication of Facts of Parentage pamphlet/form/sample/checklist

Acknowledgement of Paternity pamphlet/form/sample/checklist

Death and Fetal Death pamphlet/form/sample/checklist

Delayed Registration of Birth pamphlet/form/checklist

Court Order Delayed Certificate of Marriage pamphlet/form/sample

Court Order Delayed Certificate of Birth pamphlet/form/sample

Court Order Delayed Certificate of Death pamphlet/form/sample

Court Order Delayed Certificate of Fetal Death pamphlet/form

Supplemental Name Report – Birth pamphlet/form/checklist

Page Last Updated :