Adjudication of Facts of Parentage
Changes to parentage on a birth certificate require an Adjudication of Facts of Parentage VS 21 (PDF) form and a court order. The adjudication order is issued by the court and must:
- Instruct CDPH-VR to remove an existing parent on the birth certificate
- Identify the parent that should be listed on the certificate
- Include the child’s full name, date, and place of birth as stated on the original birth certificate
- List the full new name of the child, (if being changed)
For further information please see the informational pamphlet Adjudication of Facts of Parentage (PDF) and checklist.
An Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage is utilized when adding a parent to a blank space on the birth certificate. Both parents must be available to sign the VS 22 (PDF) form.
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended. Acceptable documents include copies of the following:
- Certified copy of court orders
- Vital Records (birth, death, marriage)
- All other documents that support the request for the amendment
A certified court order is required when submitting an Adjudication of Facts of Parentage.
A notarized Sworn Statement is required if a certified authorized copy of the amended certificate is requested. For explanation of who may receive a certified authorized copy view this link.
Certified Court Order
A “certified” copy of the court order must be a copy of the order that was originally prepared by the court. It cannot be an original printout. The photocopy you receive from the court must have all of the following:
- An original court seal
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the judge
- A signature (or signature stamp) of the court clerk
- Adjudication of Facts of Parentage requires a twenty-three dollar ($23) processing fee, which includes one certified copy of the new birth certificate
- Additional certified copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Adjudication of Facts of Parentage are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts are allowed on the VS 21 form
- This form will assist in creating the new birth certificate
Informational Pamphlet Adjudication of Facts of Parentage (PDF) and checklist
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage VS 21 (PDF) form
Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (Spanish)
Other Amendment Types
General Birth Amendment
Court Order Name Change
Correcting a Sex Field Error
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage
Supplemental Name Report