Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage
An Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage VS 22 (PDF) form is utilized when:
- Adding a parent to a blank space on the original birth certificate
- Both parents are available to sign the affidavit
For additional information please see the informational pamphlet Add Remove or Replace a Parent on a Birth Certificate.
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended.
When adding a parent to a birth certificate of a person born prior to January 1, 1995, no supporting documents are required other than a notarized sworn statement.
One of the following supporting documents is required for children born on or after January 1, 1995:
- If the parents were married to each other at the time of the child’s birth, submit a photocopy of parent’s marriage certificate.
- If the parents were in a State Registered Domestic Partnership (SRDP) at the time of the child’s birth, submit a photocopy of the parent’s SRDP declaration.
- If the parents were neither married to each other nor in an SRDP at the time of the child’s birth, submit a certified copy of the Voluntary Declaration of Parentage (DCSS0909) form that was filed with the Department of Child Support Services. If the Voluntary Declaration of Parentage form cannot be filed, then the Adjudication of Facts of Parentage process must be completed.
For information regarding obtaining or filing a Voluntary Declaration of Parentage (DCSS0909) form, please visit the Department of Child Support Services’ website.
A notarized Sworn Statement, completed by an authorized
person, is required to receive a certified authorized copy of the amended
certificate. Please visit the Authorized
Copy vs. Informational Copy webpage for a list of authorized persons.
- Acknowledgement of Facts of Paternity/Parentage require a twenty-three dollar ($23) registration fee, which includes one certified copy of the new birth certificate
- Additional certified copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Birth Amendments are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts allowed on the VS 22 form
- This form will assist in creating the new birth certificate
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage VS 22 (PDF) form
Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (Spanish)
Add Remove or Replace a Parent on a Birth Certificate pamphlet
Directory of County Vital Record Offices
Other Amendment Types
General Birth Amendment
Court Order Name Change
Correcting a Sex Field Error
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage
Supplemental Name Report