Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage
An Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage VS 22 (PDF) form is utilized when:
- Adding a parent to a blank space on the original birth certificate
- Both parents are available to sign the affidavit
Information for the Acknowledgment of Paternity/Parentage process is located in the “Add Remove or Replace a Parent on a Birth Certificate” pamphlet. To request an informational pamphlet, please provide the recipient’s name, mailing address, and the name of the pamphlet, "Add Remove or Replace a Parent on a Birth Certificate,” to the Amendment Section at AMENDVR@cdph.ca.gov or call (916) 445-2684.
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended.
When adding a parent to a birth certificate of a person born prior to January 1, 1995, no supporting documents are required other than a notarized sworn statement.
One of the following supporting documents is required for children born on or after January 1, 1995:
- If the parents were married to each other at the time of the child’s birth, submit a photocopy of parent’s marriage certificate
- If the parents were in a State Registered Domestic Partnership (SRDP) at the time of the child’s birth, submit a photocopy of the parent’s SRDP declaration
- If the parents were neither married to each other nor in an SRDP at the time of the child’s birth, submit a certified copy of the Voluntary Declaration of Parentage (DCSS0909) form that was filed with the Department of Child Support Services
For information regarding obtaining or filing a Voluntary Declaration of Parentage (DCSS0909) form, please visit the Department of Child Support Services’ website.
A notarized Sworn Statement, completed by an authorized
person, is required to receive a certified authorized copy of the amended
certificate. Please visit the Authorized
Copy vs. Informational Copy webpage for a list of authorized persons.
- Acknowledgement of Facts of Paternity/Parentage require a twenty-three dollar ($23) registration fee, which includes one certified copy of the new birth certificate
- Additional certified copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Birth Amendments are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts allowed on the VS 22 form
- This form will assist in creating the new birth certificate
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage VS 22 (PDF) form
Amendment Sworn Statements (English) (Spanish)
Directory of County Vital Record Offices
Other Amendment Types
General Birth Amendment
Court Order Name Change
Correcting a Sex Field Error
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage
Supplemental Name Report