Acknowledgement of Facts of Paternity/Parentage
An Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage VS 22 (PDF) form is utilized when:
- Adding a parent to a blank space on the original birth certificate
- Both parents are available to sign the affidavit
For further information please see the informational pamphlet Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage (PDF) and checklist.
Supporting documents are used to support the information being amended.
When adding a parent to a birth certificate of a person born prior to January 1, 1995, no supporting documents are required other than a notarized sworn statement.
One of the following supporting documents is required for children born on or after January 1, 1995:
- Photocopy of parent’s marriage – If the parents are married to each other
- Declaration of Paternity (CS909) form – If the parents are not married to each other
- Photocopy of parent’s State Registered Domestic Partnership Declaration – If the parents are in a State Registered Domestic Partnership
A notarized Sworn Statement is required if a certified authorized copy of the new certificate is requested. For explanation of who may receive a certified authorized copy view this link.
- Acknowledgement of Facts of Paternity/Parentage require a twenty-three dollar ($23) registration fee, which includes one certified copy of the new birth certificate
- Additional certified copies are twenty-five dollars ($25) each
CDPH-VR processing times may occasionally increase as do the volume of requests.
Currently Birth Amendments are processed within six (6) to eight (8) weeks from the date CDPH-VR receives the request.
- Complete all documents in black ink
- No erasures, alterations or whiteouts allowed on the VS 22 form
- This form will assist in creating the new birth certificate
Informational Pamphlet Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage (PDF) and checklist
Acknowledgement of Paternity/Parentage VS 22 (PDF) form
Other Types of Amendment Forms
Court Order Name Change pamphlet/form/checklist
New Birth Certificate After Sex Change Reassignment pamphlet/form/checklist
Correcting a Sex Field Error pamphlet/form/checklist
Marriage Certificates pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Adoption Process pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Adjudication of Facts of Parentage pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Death and Fetal Death pamphlet/form/sample/checklist
Delayed Registration of Birth pamphlet/form/checklist
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Marriage pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Birth pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Death pamphlet/form/sample
Court Order Delayed Certificate of Fetal Death pamphlet/form
Supplemental Name Report – Birth pamphlet/form/checklist