Skip Navigation LinksProvisional-Licenses

manufactured cannabis safety branch

Provisional Licenses

The Bureau of Cannabis Control, California Department of Public Health, and California Department of Food and Agriculture are taking steps to prevent gaps in licensure when active temporary commercial cannabis licenses expire.

Each licensing authority is tracking expiration dates of temporary licenses and intends to issue provisional licenses to qualified temporary license holders. If you are contacted by CDPH for additional information, please respond promptly so that processing of a provisional license is not delayed.

Who is Eligible for a Provisional License?

To qualify for a provisional license, the cannabis manufacturer must

  • Hold or have held a temporary license for the same premises and the same commercial cannabis activity (Type 7, 6, N or P)
  • Be in compliance with local ordinances including processes required for the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA)
  • Submit an annual license application through the Manufactured Cannabis Licensing System (MCLS). Access the online application system or view application checklists and guides on our Licensing page.

Provisional Licenses Important Facts:

  • A completed application for purposes of obtaining a provisional license is not the same as a sufficient application to obtain an annual license. Licensees issued a provisional license are expected to be diligently working toward completing all annual license requirements in order to maintain a provisional license.
  • Provisional licenses are issued only after the license fee is paid. The license is valid for 12 months from the date of issuance.

If you have any questions, please email our licensing team,


Provisional License Checklist (PDF)

March 29, 2019 - Important Licensing Information for Temporary Cannabis Licensees


Provisional Licenses FAQs 

Page Last Updated :