In 2014, the Director and State Public Health Officer of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) convened the Statewide Opioid Safety (SOS) Workgroup. The Director and State Public Health Officer continues to provide leadership to the SOS Workgroup.
The SOS Workgroup provides a forum to encourage collaboration across various state sectors to align activities and messages in addressing the opioid epidemic in California. The SOS Workgroup brings together over 40 state and non-government stakeholder organizations/agencies to improve coordination and expand joint efforts to address opioid misuse, addiction, and overdose deaths. In addition, the SOS Workgroup has four supporting task forces that include local and non-government entities.
- Strengthen the Workgroup infrastructure to improve effectiveness and expand collaboration
- Promote increases in treatment infrastructure, harm reduction services, MAT Access, and Naloxone Distribution
- Identify and prioritize best practices and policies for priority populations and high risk settings
- Promote and support expansion of data sharing
- Identify, promote and support implementation of effective policy and practice solutions
- Support, promote, and coordinate communication, education, and awareness efforts among SOS Workgroup partners and other state and local stakeholders
- Support local opioid safety coalitions and community engagement