SOS Workgroup Partner Achievements
California's comprehensive, multi-pronged, strategic collaboration has resulted in many efforts statewide to address the opioid epidemic. Here are just a few achievements:
- The requirement for Treatment Authorization Requests for beneficiaries to receive Medication Assisted Treatment (MAT) was removed by the Department of Health Care Services (DHCS)
- The California Hub and Spoke is a piece of the California MAT Expansion effort that is being implemented by DHCS. The purpose of the California Hub and Spoke is to improve, expand, and increase access to MAT services across the state.
- A new law was enacted, that allows pharmacists to distribute Naloxone without a prescription. The law also requires training prior to Naloxone distribution, and it was implemented by the California Board of Pharmacy
- The Two-Year Naloxone Grant Program, managed by CDPH, was established in 2016 by the Legislature to reduce the number of deaths from opioid overdoses, including prescription opioids and heroin. Over 70,000 dosages of Naloxone spray have been distributed to local health departments.
- The Naloxone Distribution Project, funded under a SAMHSA grant to DHCS, has allowed for the continuation of naloxone distribution at the local level state to reduce opioid overdose-related deaths throughout California.
- A Standing Order for Naloxone was issued by the State Public Health Officer and Director of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH). The purpose of the Standing Order is to facilitate use of naloxone to reduce deaths associated with opioid overdose.
*Not inclusive of all partner achievements.