Yes, if serotyping is requested. No, if identification or confirmation only is needed
Supplemental Information or Form
1. Pure, viable subculture
2. Completed submittal form with 2 patient identifiers (e.g. name and date of birth), collection date and source, a brief but complete patient history, cultural history and submitting laboratory’s findings.
3. Documentation that indicates the role of this isolate in clinical disease
4. LAB446 (11/07) (MDL-N-11)
5. Vaccine history is required for serotyping
Performed on Specimens from
Acceptable Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
Confirmed or suspected Streptococcus pneumoniae isolate
Minimum Volume Required
Storage & Preservation of Specimen Prior to Shipping
Tubed agar medium with a secure screw cap, labeled with patient’s name
Shipping Instructions which Include Specimen Handling Requirements
1. Grow isolate under appropriate conditions prior to shipping.
2. Ship at ambient temperature using appropriate DOT/IATA approved shipping procedures.
As needed - Biochemical testing, Gene Sequencing by PCR, and/ or MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Please note that serotyping will only be performed on isolates from sterile body sites, such as blood or cerebrospinal fluid, and with the approval of Dr. FengFeng Xu.
Interferences & Limitations
Mixed or nonviable culture
Please contact the MDL Vaccine Preventable Pathogens Unit for special consideration if any of the above criteria cannot be met.
MDL Points of Contact
Vaccine Preventable Pathogens Unit (510) 412-3700
Heike Quinn (510) 412-3756
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM PT
Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
| Conditions of Use