Supplemental Information or Form
1. A sterile body site specimen that has not yielded growth on bacterial culture but is from a patient with a high clinical suspicion of bacterial meningitis or sepsis
2. A completed submittal form with 2 patient identifiers (e.g. name and date of birth). Please include the date of collection and information on the patient’s suspected disease, clinical findings, antibiotics administered, and culture results
3. For a CSF specimen please indicate its WBC count, protein and glucose levels
4. VPP-Form01.Bacterial Meningitis Test Result
Performed on Specimens from
Acceptable Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
1. Minimum 0.5 ml blood, preferably preserved in EDTA
2. Minimum 0.5 ml cerebrospinal spinal fluid
Minimum Volume Required
Storage & Preservation of Specimen Prior to Shipping
Shipping Instructions which Include Specimen Handling Requirements
Ship at 4°C on a cold pack using appropriate DOT/IATA approved shipping procedures.
Interferences & Limitations
Culture positive specimens or those collected from nonsterile body sites are not appropriate for this testing.
Please contact the MDL Vaccine Preventable Pathogens Unit for special consideration if any of the above criteria cannot be met.
MDL Points of Contact
Vaccine Preventable Pathogens Unit (510) 412-3700
Heike Quinn (510) 412-3756
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM PT
Emails: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
| Conditions of Use