Supplemental Information or Form
1. Pure, viable subculture of an isolate from a sterile body source
2. Completed submittal form with 2 patient identifiers (e.g. name and date of birth), collection date and source, a brief but complete patient history, cultural history and submitting laboratory’s findings
3. Documentation that indicates the role of this isolate in clinical disease
Performed on Specimens from
Acceptable Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
Confirmed or suspected Haemophilus influenzae isolate
Minimum Volume Required
Storage & Preservation of Specimen Prior to Shipping
Tubed chocolate agar medium with a secure screw cap, labeled with patient’s name
Shipping Instructions which Include Specimen Handling Requirements
1. Grow isolate under appropriate conditions prior to shipping.
2. Ship at ambient temperature using appropriate DOT/IATA approved shipping procedures.
As needed - Biochemical testing, Serotyping by slide agglutination, Gene Sequencing by PCR, and/ or MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry. Please note that serotyping will only be performed on isolates from sterile body sites, such as blood or cerebrospinal fluid that are confirmed as Haemophilus influenzae.
Interferences & Limitations
Mixed or nonviable culture
Please contact the MDL Special Pathogens Unit for special consideration if any of the above criteria cannot be met.
MDL Points of Contact
Special Pathogens Unit (510) 412-3903
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM PT
Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
| Conditions of Use