Supplemental Information or Form
1. Pure, viable subculture
2. Completed submittal form with 2 patient identifiers (e.g. name and date of birth), collection date and source, a brief but complete patient history, cultural history and submitting laboratory’s findings
3. Documentation that indicates the role of this isolate in clinical disease
4. LAB 446 (11/07) (MDL-N-11)
Performed on Specimens from
Acceptable Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
Confirmed or suspected Corynebacterium diphtheriae isolate
Minimum Volume Required
Storage & Preservation of Specimen Prior to Shipping
Tubed agar medium with a screw secure cap, labeled with patient’s name
Shipping Instructions which Include Specimen Handling Requirements
1. Grow isolate under appropriate conditions prior to shipping.
2. Ship at ambient temperature using appropriate DOT/IATA approved shipping procedures.
As needed - Biochemical testing, Gene Sequencing by PCR, and/ or MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry, and subculture for referral to CDC if the isolate is confirmed as C. diphtheriae. Please note that referral to the CDC for diphtheria toxin testing will only be performed if the isolate is confirmed as C. diphtheriae
Interferences & Limitations
Mixed or nonviable culture
Please contact the MDL Special Pathogens Unit for special consideration if any of the above criteria cannot be met.
MDL Points of Contact
Special Pathogens Unit (510) 412-3903
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM PT
Emails: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
| Conditions of Use