Supplemental Information or Form
1. Pure, viable subculture
2. Completed submittal form with 2 patient identifiers (e.g. name and date of birth), collection date and source, a brief but complete patient history, cultural history and submitting laboratory’s findings
3. Documentation that indicates the role of this isolate in clinical disease
4. LAB446 (11/07) (MDL-N-11)
Performed on Specimens from
Acceptable Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
Suspected Bordetella pertussis isolate
Minimum Volume Required
Storage & Preservation of Specimen Prior to Shipping
Tubed agar medium with a secure screw cap, labeled with patient’s name. Alternatively, blocks of Regan-Lowe or Bordet-Gengou agar may be aseptically be cut from plates and then inserted into tubed agar medium of another type with a secure screw cap
Shipping Instructions which Include Specimen Handling Requirements
1. Grow isolate under appropriate conditions prior to shipping.
2. Ship at ambient temperature using appropriate DOT/IATA approved shipping procedures.
As needed - Biochemical testing, species specific slide agglutination, Gene Sequencing by PCR, and/ or MALDI-TOF mass spectrometry
Interferences & Limitations
Mixed or nonviable culture
Please contact the MDL Vaccine Preventable Pathogens Unit for special consideration if any of the above criteria cannot be met.
MDL Points of Contact
Vaccine Preventable Pathogens Unit (510) 412-3700
Heike Quinn (510) 412-3756
Monday-Friday 8 AM to 5 PM PT
Emails: Jennifer.email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
| Conditions of Use