Supplemental Information or Form
1. Pure, viable subculture
2. For Brucella sp. confirmed to genus, a boiled undiluted cellular extract (see description below) of a pure culture
3. Completed submittal form with 2 patient identifiers (e.g. name and date of birth), collection date and source, a brief but complete patient history, cultural history and submitting laboratory’s findings
Performed on Specimens from
Acceptable Sample/Specimen Type for Testing
1. Bacterial isolate
2. For Brucella sp.confirmed to genus, a boiled undiluted cellular lysate of a pure culture prepared using LRN extraction procedures with a final volume of 100 µl is also acceptable
Minimum Volume Required
Storage & Preservation of Specimen Prior to Shipping
1. Bacterial isolate: Tubed agar medium with a secure screw cap, labeled with patient’s name
2. Boiled undiluted cellular lysate: Minimum volume of 100 µl in a 1.5 to 2 ml taped screw cap conical centrifuge tube, labeled with the patient’s name
Shipping Instructions which Include Specimen Handling Requirements
1. Grow isolate under appropriate conditions prior to shipping.
2. Ship at ambient temperature using appropriate DOT/IATA approved shipping procedures.
For Cellular Extracts:
1. Ship frozen or on a cold pack using appropriate DOT/IATA approved shipping procedures.
As needed - Conventional Methods such as Biochemical testing, DFA, and phage lysis, and PCR
Interferences & Limitations
Mixed or nonviable culture
Please contact the MDL High Risk Pathogens Section for special consideration if any of the above criteria cannot be met.
MDL Points of Contact
High Risk Pathogens Section (Select Agents) (510) 412-3903fax number (510) 412-3706
Emails: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
| Conditions of Use