California Personal Responsibility Education Program (CA PREP)
The main goal of the California Personal Responsibility Education Program (CA PREP) is to reduce rates of births and STIs including HIV among high-need youth populations by replicating or substantially incorporating elements of effective evidence-based program models (EBPMs) that educate adolescents on prevention of pregnancy and STIs including HIV.
Key components of CA PREP include:
- Implementation of evidence -based program models
- Integration of adulthood preparation subjects
- Compliance with California Health and Safety and Education Codes
- Community Outreach and engagement activities
- Dissemination of information about Family PACT and other youth services
- Participation in required evaluation and monitoring activities
Section 2953 of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act of 2010 added Section 513 to Title V of the Social Security Act, codified at 42 U.S.C. 713, which authorized PREP. Through federal appropriation, CDPH/MCAH was awarded funds to implement PREP.