Hazard Evaluation System and Information Service
The Hazard Evaluation System and Information Service is a program in the California Department of Public Health that uses scientific, medical and public health expertise to help prevent workplace illness and disease.
How does HESIS help prevent workplace illness and disease?
HESIS has been at the forefront of worker health protection since 1979.
- Identify and evaluate new and unappreciated workplace chemical hazards
- Evaluate complex scientific information on potential hazards to determine what it means for people in real work situations
- Develop practical information and health alerts on chemical hazards for workers and employers
- Work with unions, employer groups, and others to distribute vital hazard information about workers at risk
- Recommend protective occupational health standards