California Border Health Collaborative
In February 2011, the California Office of Binational Border Health (COBBH); County of San Diego, Health and Human Services Agency (HHSA); and Imperial County Public Health Department (ICPHD) formed an alliance to create the California Border Health Collaborative.
Our Vision is: United for a healthy border region
Our Mission is: To enhance communication, collaboration and coordination among public, private and academic institutions in order to protect and improve the health of individuals, families and communities along the California/Baja California border region.
Our Values are: Commitment, Inclusivity, Equity, and Sustainability
Long-term and Short-term Goals:
What: Communicate with stakeholders, funders and policy makers to address emerging public health needs, gaps and disparities affecting individuals, families and communities.
How: Adopt a proactive approach to communicate a unified agenda for advocacy, education and funding priorities.
· Launch health education and awareness initiatives aimed at target audiences utilizing electronic and social media
· Create a clearinghouse of information on health issues and resources specific to border regions
What: Collaborate on approaches, policies, and practices to address shared priorities in health.
How: Seek new partners to strengthen the impact of the Collaborative.
· Increase membership in the Collaborative
· Create inventory of existing organizational initiatives that could be broadened or enhanced through collaboration How: Provide opportunities for partners to identify shared goals, policies and initiatives.
· Establish workgroups around key focus areas or initiatives
· Provide a venue for organizations, policymakers and donors to come together to exchange information on border health issues
· Expand capacity for advocacy
What: Coordinate efforts by leveraging resources and aligning activities to ensure sustainability and improve health outcomes.
How: Devise an infrastructure that allows for the successful operation of the Collaborative
· Conduct asset and needs mapping to help identify critical areas and opportunities to inform Collaborative work
· Identify potential funding sources or opportunities, inside and outside of the Collaborative, that align with the Collaborative’s goals
How: Maximize the resources and activities of the partners to advance the goals of the Collaborative
· Secure and/or leverage additional resources to support joint activities on border health
· Conduct joint activities or initiatives that produce measurable impacts on border health