Office of AIDS
OA-Health Insurance Premium Payment (OA-HIPP)
OA-HIPP is a program that pays the monthly health insurance premiums for eligible Californian residents with an HIV/AIDS diagnosis. This program is available to individuals with health insurance who are at risk of losing it, as well as to individuals currently without health insurance who would like to purchase it.
To be eligible for the OA-HIPP program, you must:
- Be enrolled in ADAP
- Have an HIV/AIDS diagnosis
- Be a California resident
- Be at least 18 years old
- Have an adjusted gross income of no more than $50,000
- NOT be enrolled in Medicare or Full-Scope (Free) Medi-Cal
- Have (or plan to get) a comprehensive health insurance plan with prescription drug benefits.
This program is not available to individuals whose insurance premiums are all or partially paid for by their employer.
How to Apply
There are two options:
1. Locate an enrollment site near you (PDF)for help enrolling. Or call the Office of AIDS hotline at (800) 367-2467 to find an enrollment site in your area. An enrollment worker will help you with the application process and submit the completed application to OA on your behalf.
2. Enroll directly with OA. If you cannot reach an enrollment site or prefer to enroll directly with OA, you can access the application and supporting documentation, or you can call the OA hotline at (800) 367-2437 and you will be referred to someone who can help you request an application packet and/or receive help completing the application over the phone. You will need to submit completed forms with original signatures and documentation directly to OA at:
Insurance Assistance Section
California Department of Public Health
PO Box 997426, MS 7704
About this Program
OA-HIPP clients can remain on the program as long as the services are needed and they continue to meet all the program requirements. Once approved and enrolled in the program, each OA-HIPP client will be required to re-enroll annually and re-certify six months later.
You may also be interested in:
Office of AIDS Home