Dr. Mark Horton, director of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), today announced that consumers should avoid eating chicken egg rolls and vegetable egg rolls manufactured by EDS Wrap and Roll Foods, LLC. of Hayward, California.
Chicken Egg Roll and Vegetable Egg Roll products from this facility contain pepper that has been recalled by Union International Food Company. White and black pepper products from Union International Food Company have been associated with an outbreak of Salmonella that has sickened 48 people in four states, including 39 in California. No deaths have been reported. The illnesses among California residents have occurred in 16 counties in Central and Northern California.
EDS Wrap and Roll Foods has initiated a voluntary recall of all products that contain the recalled pepper. These products bear case codes 80210 through 80365 or 90001 through 90089 and were sold primarily to restaurants and markets in California and Arizona. The products are packaged under the EDS Wrap and Roll Foods brand name, and the Tien Tien brand name in various sized containers, as listed below:
- EDS Wrap and Roll Foods Frozen Chicken Egg Roll (9.38 lb, 100 pieces of 1.5 oz)
- EDS Wrap and Roll Foods Frozen Chicken Egg Roll (18.75 lb, 100 pieces of 3.0 oz)
- EDS Wrap and Roll Foods Frozen Vegetable Egg Roll (16 lb, 120 pieces of 2.1 oz)
- EDS Wrap and Roll Foods Frozen Vegetable Egg Roll (10 lb, 100 pieces of 1.5 oz)
- EDS Wrap and Roll Foods Frozen Vegetable Egg Roll (18.75 lb, 100 pieces of 3.0 oz)
- Tien Tien Frozen Vegetable Egg Roll (10 lb, 100 pieces of 1.5 oz)
- Tien Tien Frozen Vegetable Egg Roll (16 lb, 120 pieces of 2.1 oz)
Salmonella can cause serious and sometimes fatal infections in infants, frail or elderly individuals and others with weakened immune systems. Healthy individuals infected with salmonella often experience fever, diarrhea (occasionally bloody), nausea, vomiting and abdominal pain. In rare circumstances, infection can result in the organism getting into the bloodstream and produce more severe illnesses. Consumers should consult with their physicians if they have these symptoms.
The CDPH Web site will be updated with additional information as it becomes available. Consumers with questions may contact EDS Wrap and Roll Foods, LLC. at (510) 266-0888.