Dr. Ron Chapman, California Department of Public Health (CDPH) director and state health officer, today announced the 24 members appointed to the newly created Office of Health Equity Advisory Committee (OHE-AC). The Office of Health Equity (OHE) aims to reduce and eliminate inequities in the health and mental health status among California’s diverse populations.
The OHE-AC consists of a broad range of health experts, advocates, clinicians and consumers who along with the new Deputy Director William Jahmal Miller, will advance the goals of the office and advise in the development and implementation of the OHE Strategic Plan.
“I’m pleased to have such a diverse group of committed individuals that will work together to find ways to improve the health of communities across the Golden State,” said Dr. Chapman.
The Office of Health Equity Advisory Committee will meet regularly on a quarterly basis starting September 26, 2013. The members are:
• Sergio Aguilar-Gaxiola, MD, PhD, Director, Center for Reducing Health Disparities and Professor of Clinical Internal Medicine, University of California, Davis School of Medicine
• Paula Braveman, MD, MPH, Director, Center on Social Disparities in Health and Director of the Center on Social Disparities in Health, University of California, San Francisco
• Delphine Brody, Former Program Director of Mental Health Services Act (MHSA) Client Involvement, for the California Network of Mental Health Clients
• Jeremy Cantor, MPH, Program Manager, Prevention Institute
• Yvonna Càzares, Policy Manager, Gay-Straight Alliance Network
• C. Rocco Cheng, PhD, Corporate Director, Prevention and Early Intervention Services, Pacific Clinics
• Kathleen Derby, Legislative Analyst, California State Independent Living Council
• Aaron Fox, MPM, Health Policy Manager, LA Gay and Lesbian Center
• Sandi Gàlvez, MSW, Executive Director, Bay Area Regional Health Inequities Initiative
• Alvaro Garza, MD, MPH, Public Health Officer, San Benito County Health and Human Services Agency
• General Jeff, Founder, Issues and Solutions and serves on the Board of Directors of the Downtown Los Angeles Neighborhood Council (DLANC)
• Cynthia Gòmez, PhD, Founding Director, Health Equity Institute, San Francisco State University
• Willie Graham, Pastor, Christian Body Life Fellowship Church
• Carrie Johnson, PhD, Director/Clinical Psychologist, United American Indian Involvement, Inc
• Neal Kohatsu, MD, MPH, Medical Director, California Department of Health Care Services
• Dexter Louie, MD, JD, MPA, Founding Member and Chair, Board of the National Council of Asian Pacific Islander Physicians
• Francis Lu, MD, Luke and Grace Kim Professor in Cultural Psychiatry, Emeritus, University of California, Davis
• Gail Newel, MD, Medical Director, Maternal Child and Adolescent Health, Fresno County Department of Public Health
• Teresa Ogan, MSW, Supervising Care Manager, California Health Collaborative Multipurpose Senior Service Program
• José Oseguera, Chief, Plan Review and Committee Operations, Mental Health Services Oversight and Accountability Commission
• Hermia Parks, MA, PHN, RN, Director, Public Health Nursing/Maternal, Child Adolescent Health, Riverside County Department of Public Health
• Diana E. Ramos, MD, MPH, Director, Reproductive Health, Los Angeles County Public Health
• Patricia Ryan, MPA, Executive Director, California Mental Health Directors Association
• Ellen Wu, MPH, Executive Director, California Pan-Ethnic Health Network
For more information about the OHE Advisory Committee, visit: Office of Health Equity Advisory Committee (OHE-AC).