Welcome to the State of California 

CDPH Warns Consumers Not to Eat Certain ‘World’s Sour Dudes Sour Strawberry Strawz’ Candy 

Date: 8/30/2012 

Number: 12-048 

Contact: Anita Gore, Heather Bourbeau (916) 440-7259 


Dr. Ron Chapman, director of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) and state public health officer, today warned consumers not to eat World’s Sour Dudes Sour Strawberry Strawz candy, Lot Q226, imported from Turkey.

This warning comes after tests conducted by CDPH found the products contained levels of lead that ex
ceeded the state’s standards. Consumers in possession of the candy should discard it immediately. 

The candy’s distributor, World’s Confections, of South Orange, New Jersey, has initiated a voluntary recall. CDPH is currently working with the distributor to ensure that the contaminated candies are removed from the market place. 

CDPH’s recent analysis of this candy determined that World’s Sour Dudes Sour Strawberry Strawz candy, Lot Q226, contained as much as 0.16 parts per million (ppm) of lead. This concentration of lead could provide up to 8.96 micrograms of lead per serving. Children under six years of age should not consume more than 6.0 micrograms of lead per day from all dietary sources. California considers candies with lead levels in excess of 0.10 ppm to be contaminated. 
World’s Sour Dudes Sour Strawberry Strawz candy, Lot Q226
World’s Sour Dudes Sour Strawberry Strawz candy is s
old in a 1.98-ounce (56 gram) package that is bright pink. A drawing of a large white-eyed character appears in the middle of the package between the word ‘SOUR’ in green, and the word ‘DUDES’ in blue. Additional product information, including photos, is available on the CDPH website

Pregnant women and parents of children who may have eaten this candy should consult their physician or health care provider to determine if medical testing is needed. Consumers who find this candy for sale should call the CDPH Complaint Hotline at 1‑800-495-3232.

 For more information about lead poisoning, contact your county childhood lead poisoning prevention program or public health department. Additional information is available on the CDPH Childhood Lead Poisoning Prevention page, and the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about Lead and Lead-Contaminated Products Web page.


Last modified on: 8/30/2012 4:20 PM