Dr. Mark Horton, Director of the California Department of Public Health (CDPH), today warned consumers not to eat ground beef products being recalled by Valley Meat Company of Modesto, because they may be contaminated with E. coli O157:H7, which can cause serious illness.
The ground beef products were sold to small markets, grocery stores and food service facilities in California, Arizona, Oregon, Texas and internationally. These products were produced between the dates of October 2, 2009 through January 12, 2010. The frozen ground beef patties and bulk ground beef being recalled list the establishment number "EST. 8268" inside the USDA mark of inspection. Additionally, consumers may find a five digit production code of 27509 through 36509 and 00110 through 01210, which reflects the day and the year the product was made.
On August 5, Valley Meat Company initiated a voluntary recall after CDPH notified it that laboratory results from a sample of their ground beef tested positive for E. coli O157:H7. CDPH has been investigating an outbreak of E. coli O157:H7 illnesses in Northern California, and had collected the sample from a patient’s freezer. At least seven California residents have been sickened by the outbreak strain of E. coli O157:H7 between February and June, 2010.
Symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection may include abdominal cramps and diarrhea which is often bloody. Most people recover within a week; however, some may develop complications that require hospitalization. Young children and the elderly are at highest risk for complications which include kidney failure. Consumers who develop symptoms of E. coli O157:H7 infection after consuming the recalled product should consult their health care provider. Click here to obtain additional information about E. coli O157:H7.
Consumers with recalled products should either discard it or return to point of purchase for a refund. Consumers seeking additional information about this recall may call a company sponsored help desk at (866) 221-6474.
Consumers are reminded that ground beef cooked to an internal temperature of at least 160 degrees will kill harmful bacteria and is safe to eat, although CDPH is recommending consumers not attempt to cook this recalled ground beef as a means to make it safe. The best way to be sure ground beef is properly cooked is to use an accurate food thermometer. For more information about food safety, visit the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service Web site or the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Web site.
Valley Meat Company is recalling the following products:
• BIGGER VALLEY BURGER - 6/5# (73/27) Retail Bag
• BIGGER VALLEY BURGER 12/3# (80/20) Retail Bag
• BLACK ANGUS BEEF BURGER 12/2# RETAIL BOX
• COUNTRY STYLE BEEF PATTIES (WITH SOY) RETAIL 6/5# Bag
• SUPREMAS BEEF PATTIES 12/3# Bag
• THE BUTCHER'S CUT 100% GROUND BEEF PATTIES RETAIL BOXES 8#, and 12/2.5# (73/27 )
• THE BUTCHER'S CUT 100% ALL BEEF PATTIES 12/2.5# RETAIL BAG (80/20)
• VALLEY MEAT 100% ALL BEEF PATTIES - 12/3# RETAIL BAG (15% FAT)
• VALLEY MEAT 100% ALL BEEF PATTIES - 12/3#, 6/5#, 8/3# RETAIL BAG (73/27)
• VALLEY MEAT 100% ALL BEEF PATTIES 12/3# RETAIL BAG (7% FAT)
• VALLEY MEAT 100% ALL BEEF PATTIES 12/3# RETAIL BAG (20% FAT)
FOOD SERVICE PACKS:
• GROUND BEEF CHUCK PATTIES 7 OZ- 21# cs
• GROUND BEEF SMASHBURGER 40/7 OZ. - VAC PACK
• HEARST 80/20 PATTIES 5/1R -10#
• HEARST GROUND BEEF 12/1# RETAIL
• IQF 85/15 GROUND BEEF PATTIES 4/1R
• IQF 80/20 GROUND BEEF PATTIES, sized 2/1 OVAL, 2/1 RND, 3/1 Oval, 3/1 rnd,
• 4/1 rnd, 4/1 thin, 5/1 rnd, 6/1 rnd, 8/1 rnd 10# case
• IQF BEEF PATTIES WITH SOY, sized 4/1, 5/1, and 6/1 10# case
• RPQ 80/20 GROUND BEEF 4/10#
• RPQ 85/15 G B 4/10# CLEAR PACKAGING
• RPQ 85/15 GROUND BEEF 4/10#
• RPQ 85/15 GROUND BEEF PATTIES 160/4 oz, 40/4 oz cases
• RPQ 90/10 GROUND BEEF 4/10# also clear
• 73/27 GROUND BEEF Packaged in: 10/1#, 40/1#, 20/2#, 15/3#, 4/5#, 8/5#, 4/10#
• 80/20 GROUND BEEF Packaged in: 10/1#, 40/1#, 2/5#, 4/5#, 8/5#, and 4/10# fresh and frozen
• 85/15 GROUND BEEF Packaged in: 4/5#, and 8/5#
• 90/10 GROUND BEEF - 8/5#
• 90/10 GROUND BEEF PATTIES 160/4 oz case
• 93/7 GROUND BEEF 4/10#