Vital Statistics Unit
Vital Statistics Unit (VSU) is responsible for maintaining, analyzing, distributing the data contained within California's electronic vital statistics systems.
Key functions performed by VSU include:
- Maintenance of electronic Statistical Master Files of live births, deaths, and fetal deaths
- Production of the annual Vital Statistics of California report
- Analysis of the data contained in the vital statistics files
- Production of copies of vital statistics files, data tables and reports, and special data analyses in personal computer, Internet, mainframe, and paper formats
- Technical assistance for CDPH and DHCS programs in using California's vital statistics data and applying appropriate statistical analysis for purposes of public health research, program planning, and evaluation