Medical Marijuana Program Frequently Asked Questions
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) administers the Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) program. The Medical Marijuana Program (MMP) was established to provide a voluntary medical marijuana identification card issuance and registry program for qualified patients and their caregivers.
What is a Medical Marijuana Identification Card (MMIC) and how can it help me?
The MMIC identifies the cardholder as a person protected under the provisions of Prop 215 and SB 420. It is used to help law enforcement identify the cardholder as being able to legally possess certain amounts of medical marijuana under specific conditions.
I am a qualified patient. How do I apply for a MMIC?
You will need to fill out an Application/Renewal Form. You must reside in the California county where the application is submitted. You will need to provide current documentation with your application as follows:
- A copy of your doctor's recommendation
- Proof of identity. This can be a valid California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) driver’s license or valid identification (ID) card or other valid government-issued photo ID card.
- Proof of residency which can be:
- Rent or mortgage agreement.
- Utility bill
- California DMV motor vehicle registration.
You must apply in person at your county’s program. There you will be asked to:
- Pay the fee required by your county program. Medi-Cal beneficiaries will receive a 50 percent reduction in the application fee.
- Have your photo taken at the county’s program office. This photo will appear on your MMIC.
What happens to my application and other private health information after I give it to my county’s MMP?
The Medical Marijuana Application System does not contain any personal information such as name, address or social security number. It only contains the unique user ID number and when entered the only information provided is whether the card is valid or invalid.
More Medical Marijuana Program Frequently Asked Questions
Back to Medical Marijuana Program